News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Rose Beige 202 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, March 17, 2015, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Whatever the case, if this was a collector's interpretation of a Rose Beige Continental, he/she did a pretty good job! So good that we're arguing whether it's original or not! ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 19, 2015, 09:12:20 AM
Whatever the case, if this was a collector's interpretation of a Rose Beige Continental, he/she did a pretty good job! So good that we're arguing whether it's original or not! ::)

Well, that's not the point.  The point is authenticity, which provides the historical data points for an accurate historical record of manufacturing and use.  A 'doctored' phone must be eliminated from such considerations.
Today, even hobbyists can potentially produce better paint finishes than factories could in the 50s. If you just want a pretty phone that few others have, then go and bid.

The sad part is that many believe everything they are told or read on the Web, and then promulgate the nonsense. A great example is the story of Imperials that everyone seems to love, how they were created for the 75th anniversary of Bell's patent.
Another example is this recent auction, which was finally terminated by the seller, after digging in his heels for a while with add-ons/updates to his fictional description. The creator of the Frankenphone is a well known collector, eeh... charlatan.  But look... the seller changed to a new strategy with a shorter story and a 125 BIN, down from $250.

Doug Rose

This is a good seller as well as a collector. I never knew there was a RB202 until Dennis showed us his. I believe this to be real....yes, I see this issues with it and the cords are the least of my worries. This came from WE refurb center or was a turned down special order because of the paint issues.  I really don't think they checked dates the way we do, if there were cords, they used them. Just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 19, 2015, 06:10:15 PM
This is a good seller as well as a collector. I never knew there was a RB202 until Dennis showed us his. I believe this to be real....yes, I see this issues with it and the cords are the least of my worries. This came from WE refurb center or was a turned down special order because of the paint issues.  I really don't think they checked dates the way we do, if there were cords, they used them. Just my humble opinion....Doug

That's true.  But they didn't have the task of determining whether something is real or whether someone is simply after extracting money from people with false stuff, knowingly or unknowingly.  Nobody has accused anyone of anything.
The cords are not a problem since they are close and earlier. It is conceivable to have stock for one or two years for items that are not ordered frequently.  Brown cloth cords were not commonly used anymore at this time.  But if the cords were later than 1955, than this would be more of a problem, because these were most likely not assembled anymore, except for a special order perhaps.

For us, dates are one tool to determine authenticity, for them it was a mark to know when the piece could be written off.  No one here has stated this phone to be a fake, we have simply examined the validity of it. Perhaps it simply was the paint defect that didn't pass inspection and that why that phone never got installed.

Doug Rose

Dennis....will you post a few pics yours please....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, I have been following this  thread and would like to put photos of mine on here so that we can see what's what with it.  As you know I bough it from a collector friend and have not even taken it apart to see the dates.  So it will be a discovery for me too.  I've always wondered as to it's authenticity.  The color sure looks a lot like this one, even with the dark coiled cord.  Mine however is definitely not NOS.  I will do it at my earliest convenience.

~Dennis

skyrider

I would like to share my 202 that I found earlier this month. It looked too good, nice bright paint clean cords with a 55 date. The dial is a 6D 11-55,the dial face is a 164A IV -55. There is no date inside the housing, looks like it was removed. Transmitter is a T1 with a spacer dated 8-54. Could not get receiver out. My first thought was someone had repainted it but it seems to be one redone at a service center. The Lady I got it from said she had bought it at a estate sale. It looks like it had been hidden away since 1955 or 56 as I do not see any wear and the cords seem to have never stretched out. I did have to pay a total of $30 for it.   Regards Bill Compton

unbeldi

Quote from: skyrider on March 19, 2015, 09:39:00 PM
I would like to share my 202 that I found earlier this month. It looked too good, nice bright paint clean cords with a 55 date. The dial is a 6D 11-55,the dial face is a 164A IV -55. There is no date inside the housing, looks like it was removed. Transmitter is a T1 with a spacer dated 8-54. Could not get receiver out. My first thought was someone had repainted it but it seems to be one redone at a service center. The Lady I got it from said she had bought it at a estate sale. It looks like it had been hidden away since 1955 or 56 as I do not see any wear and the cords seem to have never stretched out. I did have to pay a total of $30 for it.   Regards Bill Compton
The dates you have mentioned confirm that this is authentic. Very nice. Pekin Red was one of the "standard" (BSP) colors of the Continentals made in 1955.  The date inside the housing is not important, it could be any year from 1930 to 39. It was probably removed in surface preparation for the new paint finish.  I think yours is the zinc alloy type made between ca. 1936 and 1939.

What is the type marking on your handset?  F1 or F4 ?  T1 and U1 elements were used in the remote locations from a central office to take advantage of the increased gain of these. Early F4 handsets were simply turned out to accept the U1 receiver, while later they molded new F4 handsets.

Dan/Panther

Dennis, I was about to suggest you post photos of yours, when I read you beat me to it. A good idea. If you can post similar angles etc.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

skyrider

"The dates you have mentioned confirm that this is authentic. Very nice. Pekin Red was one of the "standard" (BSP) colors of the Continentals made in 1955.  The date inside the housing is not important, it could be any year from 1930 to 39. It was probably removed in surface preparation for the new paint finish.  I think yours is the zinc alloy type made between ca. 1936 and 1939.

What is the type marking on your handset?  F1 or F4 ?  T1 and U1 elements were used in the remote locations from a central office to take advantage of the increased gain of these. Early F4 handsets were simply turned out to accept the U1 receiver, while later they molded new F4 handsets.
"

The handset is marked F4 and with some effort the U1 came out and is dated 1-8-55.  Bill

HarrySmith

Is that a black painted handset?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

skyrider

Yes Harry it is a black F4 painted red.   Bill

unbeldi

The only mystery to me is that the dial is not wired at all.  It is as if the last step of assembly was not completed because someone pulled the plug on the assembly line.

I have seen a few other Continentals in this state as well, looking essentially brand new, yet having no internal wiring.

Doug Rose

Bill....that is a wonderful find, looks fantastic. Perfect condition. Welcome to the Forum.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Very nice find!

I just purchased 2 NOS F4 Black handsets painted White for Continentals. I thought they used Brown for painting??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"