and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Rose Beige 202 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, March 17, 2015, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 21, 2015, 09:19:06 AM
Very nice find!

I just purchased 2 NOS F4 Black handsets painted White for Continentals. I thought they used Brown for painting??

No, by 1955, when Continentals and Imperials were introduced, the WE repair shops were painting black handsets. They were promoting these models to the public so they probably needed a fairly large quantity of available handsets.

From 1941- 1954, color 202s were available on special order only. These had brown handsets painted to match the D1 handset mounting.

In 1955,  202s  could  "be ordered with  F1 or F4 handsets as required." Available colors for 202s and 215s  shown in a Southern Bell addendum were black, ivory, green and red. Subsets in matching colors were still available:

Subsets in matching colors may also be obtained;
                         however, in most cases where two piece station
                         sets are installed, the subscriber set can be
                         and is often concealed for appearance reasons
                         with connections to the hand telephone set being
                         made to a connecting block. Where this is the
                         case and the customer does not insist on a sub-
                         scriber set of matching color, a standard black
                         subscriber set should be used.

ADDENDUM C32.111, Issue B, Nov., 1955, SBT&T Standard

215s were used when there was more than one phone connected to the same subset.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 21, 2015, 09:19:06 AM
Very nice find!

I just purchased 2 NOS F4 Black handsets painted White for Continentals. I thought they used Brown for painting??

Not anymore by 1955. The brown Bakelite handsets where only used for the painted sets with metal housings until the whole line was discontinued in 1954. The brown Bakelite was a better substrate for the paint technology of the time. Until the 1940s many or most paints were based on linseed or similar oils, distilled to high purity. But after the war, polymer-based paints began to emerge, so that by the 50s, WECo could paint even the glossy black Bakelite successfully and cheaper.  The brown grooveless handsets required special processing and polishing off the mold fins which had been eliminated with the groove along the handle.

Doug Rose

Rose Beige went for an amazing $384.79.  WOW!!!...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, the seller has another Continental up for sale. It appears to be in the same condition as the beige version, and it also has a #6. The green cords are dated '55.

It seems to me the beige was an original, along with this one!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131470558054
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Since the number plate is really white, this may be more representative of the phone's color.