News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 64 - AE 40 in Nile Green & Chrome

Started by Dan, March 11, 2011, 07:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

LOVE these COLORED AE40's. Looks like the real deal. Hopefully it won't end early.

Early opening guess for me is $966.85

http://tinyurl.com/4epuw4v

Feel free to add a picture to this auction if you deem it contest worthy!

S C O R E B O A R D

Sold for $755.00
$  958.75 - Bill Cahill (Winner)
$  966.85 - Dan
$1027.00 - Paul F
$1150.00 - Tom B
$1277.00 - Doug Rose
$1313.13 - JorgeAmely
$1345.67 - Russ Kirk
$1355.00 - RDB
$1450.00 - bingster
$1500.00 - GG
$1500.01 - Harry Smith
$1557.00 - Dennis Markham
$1899.99 - Kenny C
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

Looks like Nile Green and Chromium, according to the AE advertising (see below). Also a little faded, but not too bad. These were plastic and not Bakelite phones, I believe. At least the green ones.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

This is a beauty!  $1277....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I'll guess $1,557.  Is it more rare than a cracked Blue 302??

GG

The handset cord on that looks basically the same as GPO-UK braided cords.

Questions about cords for AE sets:

What are the correct types and colors of handset cords for colored 1A through 43 Monophones?   Specifically, for ivory sets and dark green sets.    My impression is that brown braided cords are OK for all of those; anyone have any different information?    Also are the braided brown cords OK for use on black 1A Monophones or should one stick to the normal cloth-covered brown cords that aren't braided?   (I've seen some pictures but I'm looking for local expert opinions here.)

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on March 11, 2011, 10:21:27 AM

The handset cord on that looks basically the same as GPO-UK braided cords.

Questions about cords for AE sets:

What are the correct types and colors of handset cords for colored 1A through 43 Monophones?   Specifically, for ivory sets and dark green sets.    My impression is that brown braided cords are OK for all of those; anyone have any different information?    Also are the braided brown cords OK for use on black 1A Monophones or should one stick to the normal cloth-covered brown cords that aren't braided?   (I've seen some pictures but I'm looking for local expert opinions here.)

I am not an expert at all as I only have three colored AE 40/60 phones myself and we had very few of them here in the Vancouver area. The most common set up is the AE Extensicord on these colored sets. That is the cloth cord wit hindividual conductors and an elastic down the centre. They were made in brown and black so black is probably a better choice for many colors.

I see so many of those braided 3 conductor cloth handset cords on AE phones though that I suspect they may have at some time been an option or even standard on some AE phones at some time. Maybe during the war era?

Terry

Dan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 11, 2011, 09:49:55 AM

I'd say so, at least if you use ebay for comparison. I'd rather have this than a Blue 302, but the blue may be more POPULAR, but less rare.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on March 11, 2011, 11:31:48 AM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 11, 2011, 09:49:55 AM

I'd say so, at least if you use ebay for comparison. I'd rather have this than a Blue 302, but the blue may be more POPULAR, but less rare.
Take the crack out of the Blue 302 and its more of a fair fight. This one is no contest, the Nile green is the clear winner. I was surprised the cracked Blue 302 went over $300.....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

I aways seem to lose these contests, so my losing number is $1345.67.

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

JorgeAmely

Jorge

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"