News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 70 - WE 1500 1960 Field Trial Set (?)

Started by Dan, June 29, 2011, 06:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

For the novices of the 60's phones, like myself;  what make this so special? I can see it has an early 10 button touch tone, looks like it was added to a early WE rotary 500 set. Without a peak under the hood, are you sure its a WE modification and not a collector modification? I think I have seen the round dial on Northern's before. I am just asking as I have no clue. If I saw it at a flea market, I would have bought it thinking its a $50 phone, tops. Any info is appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

The tone dial on that set is different than the production sets produced 3 or 4 years later. The buttons are bigger, most likely flat . The Circuit layout placed both inductors against each other instead of spaced apart on the circuit board.

Do not get this mixed up with the Phillips? aftermarket tone dials that looked similar.
Robby

paul-f

Agreed.  The only thing that's a field trial part in this phone is the dial.  Everything else is standard production.

Its collectibility is simply that it's one of many steps Western Electric went through in getting to the final touch tone design.  And touch tone was one of the most visible major changes to ripple through the Bell System.

It's really important to know your parts in this area, as there are several later aftermarket dials (like the Norelco) that look a lot like the field trial dial.  It's safest to see the back of the dial before buying.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

They did not show the back of the dial, It would be nice to see the date code. Most likely 1960 or so
robby

Willytx

Aftermarket dials by Philips and Norelco? Was this something a person would have installed on their leased Bell phone?

rdelius

An independent telephone co or a refurbisher  would rebuild rotary telephones with the philips or norelco dials. Never Bell.
Robby

Willytx

Quote from: rdelius on July 01, 2011, 05:28:35 PM
An independent telephone co or a refurbisher  would rebuild rotary telephones with the philips or norelco dials. Never Bell.
Robby

And where can I find one of these? Just for personal use, not resale.  ;)

paul-f

Like most of our treasures, they turn up periodically at yard sales, flea markets, on-line auctions and phone shows.

Here's a photo of the Norelco dial.  Note the placement of the number card holder.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

It might be possible to get one from Paul Vaverchak, PT Supply, Pillow PA. I bought a 1957 554 modified with one of those dials from him.
robby

JimH

Jim H.

Willytx

It never ceases to amaze me how adaptable these old phones were.

Adam

This auction just ended, final price $811.52.

Who won?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

I'm guessing that deedubya3800 gets the cash prize.

Terry

deedubya3800

Quote from: AE_collector on July 06, 2011, 02:19:52 AM
I'm guessing that deedubya3800 gets the cash prize.

Terry

Yay! That makes two in a row! ;D (at least of the ones I've participated in) ;)

Just a collector

Old thread I realize, but I thought I'd add what I know about the field trial 1500 set.

Since I have a copy of the BTJ article on it, I was familiar with the "looks" of it. 

It's probably been 15+ years since WECo closed the Indy Works. Shortly afterwards the ATCA show was held there. One of the sponsors had worked there and had "dumpster dove" (rescued) a ton of stuff, one of which was a hand built prototype dial for this set. It was in a box of junk, unrecognised.

Flash forward several years, and an ivory set appears on ePay. This set (which I bought for something like $30) had been a Display Set.  For those not aware of the practice, Bell would neuter working telephones to be used for displays. Needless to say, they weren't too delicate in their neutering. In the case of my 1500, it looks like they took a chisel to the back of the dial.

FYI, these dials were NOT DTMF, so if you want them to work, you have to build a tone converter (another PIC project ....).

If anyone is interested in more, let me know and I'll post.