News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello and Good Evening - Eric CRX

Started by Eric CRX, November 24, 2012, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric CRX

Hi folks, my name is Eric and I have recently taken the plunge into the rotary world. It started with a conversation with a friend about the "good ole days" of our youth. We talked of old phones and I try to hit up antique stores looking for pipe racks and such, so.......I snagged an old rotary phone with the expectations that it'd be a 14 buck paperweight on my desk. That would be cool. But as I shined her up and tried it out, bam! Works like a charm.

So I found this site and read some....and read some more.....and now I have 2 problems. First, I have purchased more phones that I probably don't need. Second, and this is the bad part for the forum, I have many questions that keep popping up that I can't seem to figure out with search. So, in the near future I would like to ask a few questions and put up a few pics of my stock.

Lastly, I'm a West Virginian and love the 304 area code! I'm in PA now and it's great but I'm a Mountaineer at heart. Important information.  ;D

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum.  In order for the search to be effective, you need to be at the highest possible level, otherwise it will only search the level or the thread you are currently viewing.

These things are also addictive, and there is no known cure, so watch out.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

You are the first "official" post in the New Member Introductions area! It was just created a couple of days ago and I have moved all of the other posts there from other places scattered around the forum.

Welcome!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 24, 2012, 10:34:28 PM
These things are also addictive, and there is no known cure, so watch out.

Ah, yes, how very true. While there are two addiction impediments, a very watchful wife and a full basement, there really is no cure.

George Knighton

Quote from: Eric CRX on November 24, 2012, 10:07:56 PMFirst, I have purchased more phones that I probably don't need.

Ha ha ha ha....

Tell me about it.  :-)

Recently bitten by the bug myself, and have more 302's and 302 parts on the way than I'm ever going to know what to do with.  Based on what I've purchased so far, I'll have enough to keep me busy for a year.

Welcome from a fellow newbie who also does not know what he is doing.
Annoying new poster.

dsk

twocvbloke

I presume you're also a fan of the Honda CRX, going by your name... :D

Eric CRX

Thanks for the welcome. And affirmative on the CRX love. I bought a new 1988 CRX that I had to sell in 2010. 22 years of driving and memories. They are so fun to drive, unlike modern cars but that is for another forum I guess.

Anyway I will probably post a question or two soon. I managed to remove a finger wheel without posting. Yes there is much info on their removal but I seem to have odd (unique?) questions even on a fairly simple task. So once I gather my thoughts on a couple questions it's off to the troubleshooting section to ask.....

Thanks

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 25, 2012, 12:56:08 PM
Honda CRX

A twoCV wanna be if there ever was one, right twocvbloke?!

I finally sold out 1984 Accord which we bought brand new once it hit 22 years old.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on November 25, 2012, 06:28:47 PMA twoCV wanna be if there ever was one, right twocvbloke?!

I finally sold out 1984 Accord which we bought brand new once it hit 22 years old.

Terry

Nah, nothing can be a 2CV but a 2CV itself... ;D

Hondas are pretty darned reliable, though you do tend to get certain types (usually those who are big diehard fans of the US trio) claiming they're unreliable and break down easily and have rubber bands for engines, but knowing how long Hondas can last and how nippy & efficient they are, I think they're pretty much reading and redistributing the wrong hype... :D

I guess it's just cos it's an eastern brand, though the Japanese do know how to pick the right brands, they love the 2CV over there... :D

Nick in Manitou

I know this is off topic, but being rather new to the forum myself, and seeing twocvbloke's posting over the last few weeks, I assumed that the 2CV being referred to was either (2) constant velocity joints, or an older Citroen...loved and hated by many.

Nick

AE_Collector

It's the latter....

Not sure if there is a discussion about it in the Off Topic - Automobiles area or not.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 25, 2012, 08:07:55 PMI assumed that the 2CV being referred to was either (2) constant velocity joints, or an older Citroen...loved and hated by many.

Yep, the 2CV is an older Citroen, loved by many, and hated by Jeremy Clarkson... :D

The name refers to the old French vehicle classification system, the Citroen Traction Avant I think was referred to as the 15CV, the "CV" being an abbreviation of "Chevaux", or Horses, or Horsepower to some, although the first 2CV was 9bhp, and the last 28bhp, so the name wasn't quite related to the actual power it had... :D

Eric CRX

I seem to remember a 2CV in a Bond movie when I was a youngster. I'm not much of a Bond fan I guess.

I'm patiently waiting for the premiere of Top Gear.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Eric CRX on November 26, 2012, 07:37:43 PM
I seem to remember a 2CV in a Bond movie when I was a youngster. I'm not much of a Bond fan I guess.

They cheated with that one in the movie, to make it move faster they fitted it with a Citroen GS engine, which was larger and more powerful, the chasing cars wouldn't exactly have had a hard time keeping up with a standard one... :D