News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC stick & E1 handset

Started by NorthernElectric, August 29, 2015, 06:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I paid a visit to one of my favorite shops today.  I must have come across a couple of boxes in the barn that I hadn't looked in because I found a couple of items that I hadn't seen there before.  1st I found a Northern Electric E1 handset.  I was in need of a spare, because one of my D1s with an E1 is a Northern Electric base with a WE handset.  A bit later, I opened up a Rubbermaid tote and inside was a Stromberg-Carlson candlestick and a Northern Electric Uniphone #5 still wired to it's wooden magneto subset.  That one might have followed me home too except there was a chunk out of the bakelite.  I also grabbed a few handset and line cords.

On a previous visit I had asked about a Telechron clock that I had seen there which turned out to be sold.  He had another clock I was thinking about and we discussed the possibilty of trading for the Coca-Cola clock I bought earlier this year at a yard sale.  I took the Coca-Cola clock with me today and ended up trading the clock plus $40 CDN for the SC stick, the E1 handset, and the spare cords.

I'm guessing the receiver is not original; certainly the cap isn't which looks like WE.  The wiring diagram was folded up inside the base.  It references a '992  Desk Phone'.  Is that the model # of this phone?
Cliff

NorthernElectric

I got the 992 up and running today.  I had picked up an 1156 subset and a proper receiver in separate ebay auctions over the last several months.  Turns out the 992 is a local battery magneto service set, so I removed the induction coil that was in the phone base and reconfigured the connections in the base to match the 986 CB desk set.
Cliff

unbeldi

Very nice!

992 was indeed the code number for the desk stand itself.  When combined with the desk set box No. 327, which was a wooden subset mounted on the wall, it was called the No. 1000 Desk Telephone.

Removing the induction coil is a mistake though, the desk set box is only for signaling and does not have a network.  The set should be used with a local battery.

I am including the SC brochure for it.
Bulletin No. 1024 5ed January 1921 Magneto Telephones

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 07:28:44 PM
Removing the induction coil is a mistake though, the desk set box is only for signaling and does not have a network.  The set should be used with a local battery.

Whilst I personally would not have removed the IC either, it is now connected to an 1156 CB subset which does have a network.

I don't think the original LB subset was part of the deal.

Jack

NorthernElectric

I have it connected to an 1156 common battery subset, which has an induction coil, so basically by removing the coil and reconfiguring the connections per the 986 wiring diagram, I have transformed the 992 desk stand into a 986.

(diagram from TCI library)
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 04, 2016, 07:42:58 PM

Whilst I personally would not have removed the IC either, it is now connected to an 1156 CB subset which does have a network.

Jack

I understand that, but already having the proper induction coil is 95% of the solution to a properly working telephone. The rest is a battery, a capacitor, and some wires.
The 986 used a slightly different transmitter than the 992.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 04, 2016, 07:42:58 PMWhilst I personally would not have removed the IC either, it is now connected to an 1156 CB subset which does have a network.

I will save the coil and have the 992 diagram should I ever wish to put it back the way it was.  The wires from the induction coil were in the way and I decided there would be less likelihood of damaging them if I removed the coil so I could rewire the transmitter, receiver, and hookswitch as a 986.
Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 07:46:50 PMI understand that, but already having the proper induction coil is 95% of the solution to a properly working telephone. The rest is a battery, a capacitor, and some wires.

Making a local battery set work on my POTS line is a bit beyond me.  Since I did not have a 327 subset, that didn't seem to be an option anyway.

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 07:46:50 PMThe 986 used a slightly different transmitter than the 992.

Is the transmitter likely to be a problem?
Cliff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 07:46:50 PM

Jack

I understand that, but already having the proper induction coil is 95% of the solution to a properly working telephone. The rest is a battery, a capacitor, and some wires.

and a box and a magneto but yes, you're right. The trouble is, I suppose, that people want to use CB phones on the public network.

That is something to be careful of. If it still has a 7L transmitter that will be easier to fry on a CB line and it is probably harder to replace.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on March 04, 2016, 08:40:15 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 07:46:50 PM

Jack

and a box and a magneto but yes, you're right. The trouble is, I suppose, that people want to use CB phones on the public network.
Can't use a magneto on a CB line anyways, so why pretend?  Of course we are pretending already at this point.

I don't know anymore how many magneto phones I have, enough, but I have never had the urge to make any work on a CB line.  I really don't know what the purpose of that would be, at least I have never understood that.  It is a lot more fun and authentic to string a line between all magneto phone in the house and make an intercom with the magnetos actually working.  This demonstrates them in an authentic manner, is a heck of a lot more fun than talking to someone on the PSTN with a crappy-sounding transmitter and receiver, which is invariably the state of affairs with these old instruments, especially non-WECo instruments.

That is something to be careful of. If it still has a 7L transmitter that will be easier to fry on a CB line and it is probably harder to replace.
I think that is what should be on this phone.  The 986 had a 7-C transmitter.

Jack

unbeldi

I don't know what the specs are of either of these. Do you think that the transmitter current for the 7L was lower than one can get from a modern CB line?

I would think the resistance of the LB transmitter would be lower than the CB transmitter.

NorthernElectric

After perusing as many catalogs as I could find, the 992 would be equipped with either a 7A or 7L and the 986 a 7C.  I have not had the cup apart.  If I open it up to have a look, will there be markings on it or some other way to ID the transmitter?

I called work and left myself a voicemail but I'll have to wait until Monday to hear how it sounds.  The system told me to speak louder.  I should have realized by the low volume of sidetone that I didn't have my mouth close enough so I moved the mouthpiece closer and repeated my message.  Then I hung up and unplugged it for now.
Cliff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 09:25:36 PM
Can't use a magneto on a CB line anyways, so why pretend?  Of course we are pretending already at this point.

I don't know anymore how many magneto phones I have, enough, but I have never had the urge to make any work on a CB line.  I really don't know what the purpose of that would be, at least I have never understood that.  It is a lot more fun and authentic to string a line between all magneto phone in the house and make an intercom with the magnetos actually working.  This demonstrates them in an authentic manner, is a heck of a lot more fun than talking to someone on the PSTN

I agree but in addition, I would like to be able to use unmodified magneto telephones as they should be on CNET.

... with a crappy-sounding transmitter and receiver, which is invariably the state of affairs with these old instruments, especially non-WECo instruments.

Ford owners may have a different perspective...

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on March 04, 2016, 09:31:52 PM

I don't know what the specs are of either of these. Do you think that the transmitter current for the 7L was lower than one can get from a modern CB line?

I would think the resistance of the LB transmitter would be lower than the CB transmitter.

That was the case on all those I have checked. Local battery voltage could be quite low...

Later on most of the LB specific transmitters disappeared so I assume that the performance of newer transmitters was improved to the point where specific LB and CB transmitters were no longer required.

Jack