News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal case telphones and prices?

Started by dsk, April 11, 2012, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Sitting here on the other side of the pond, having real trouble. I have felt in love with some American beauties.

I got my SC 1243 and the size, the weight and design is just so extremely fulfilled. I,m sure the inspiration came from Norway  ;D    The SC is better, I prefer metal, and the cut corners, and carrying handle makes it better. The gallion looks nice with more upright dial, but NO!  The AE 34-50  Not right. But the WE 302 with a metal top looks right, almost as nice as the SC so I want one. Why are the price 2-3 times the SC.

So you experts over there, please tell me why, and what is the big thing with the 302. My guess: It should be far more 302's out there than SC123's  Both are trustable, and easy to keep in service 60-70 years after the left the production hall.

(And of course if you have a 302 with metal body and want to tempt a stingy guy so please send a PM)

dsk

LarryInMichigan

Why SC 1243s are worth so little is one of the mysteries of the world.  For whatever reason, nobody seems to want them.  On the bright side, buying an SC 1243 is a easy way for a beginning collector to get a good, real antique phone.

Larry

baldopeacock

Here's a nicely restored 1243, belongs to a friend of mine.    Borrowed this photo from an earlier thread.   It looks really good in person, pic doesn't do it justice.  I really like the dial card setup, and I don't know where he got that.   Only one like it I've ever seen, but then I don't get out much.

twocvbloke

Quote from: d_s_k on April 11, 2012, 01:55:58 PMI,m sure the inspiration came from Norway  ;D   

Funny, I thought that was a GPO 300 series... :D

dsk

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 11, 2012, 03:35:02 PM
Quote from: d_s_k on April 11, 2012, 01:55:58 PMI,m sure the inspiration came from Norway  ;D   

Funny, I thought that was a GPO 300 series... :D
Take a look at this:
http://is.gd/51ucNh
dsk

dsk

Quote from: baldopeacock on April 11, 2012, 03:28:38 PM
Here's a nicely restored 1243, belongs to a friend of mine.    Borrowed this photo from an earlier thread.   It looks really good in person, pic doesn't do it justice.  I really like the dial card setup, and I don't know where he got that.   Only one like it I've ever seen, but then I don't get out much.

This looks better than new.
The black paint on mine looks like it has had a matte finish.

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: d_s_k on April 12, 2012, 04:07:52 AM
Take a look at this:
http://is.gd/51ucNh
dsk

I know, it was made by Ericsson for the GPO, I just wanted to be the mushroom* in the thread.... :D

(*you know, "fungi"... :D )