"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early (1937) 302!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 04, 2015, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

The lot is in, and so is my excitement!! ;D

The '37 is indeed a '37, with most components matching to 2nd quarter 1937 (or July 1937 on the base). The dial is a 5H from II-37, and the network is reversed. The handset is from 1952, and a replacement '37 is on the way. The paint isn't original, and is flaking off around the lift and cradle corners. I will need to powdercoat it.

The other 302 is an AB1, which from my understanding, was used to replace a Candlestick, and was hooked up to the existing subset on the telephone line. It looks like it wasn't even converted to an A1 from a standard 302, definitely a keeper!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

I saw a phone on eBay that looked like a 302.  It had a dial on it and the pictures of the insides showed that it lacked an induction coil, a ringer, and a condenser.  The seller called it a 250 model.  It was designed to be hooked up to a subset.

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 05:18:13 PM

The other 302 is an A1, which from my understanding, was used to replace a Candlestick, and was hooked up to the existing subset on the telephone line. It looks like it wasn't even converted to an A1 from a standard 302, definitely a keeper!!

That would be an AA1 handset mounting.

But I don't understand your last comment (emphasized).  An AA1 handset mounting was never converted from a 302.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on December 11, 2015, 05:32:53 PM
I saw a phone on eBay that looked like a 302.  It had a dial on it and the pictures of the insides showed that it lacked an induction coil, a ringer, and a condenser.  The seller called it a 250 model.  It was designed to be hooked up to a subset.
Yup, that's it! I only remember the housing model from memory, and the fact that it says 'AB1' on the housing instead of 'H1'. I believe a B1 would have a dial
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 05:43:08 PM

The other 302 is an A1, which from my understanding, was used to replace a Candlestick, and was hooked up to the existing subset on the telephone line. It looks like it wasn't even converted to an A1 from a standard 302, definitely a keeper!!

But I don't understand your last comment (emphasized).  An AA1 handset mounting was never converted from a 302.
I thought some *AA1*s were converted from a 302 by simply removing the network/condenser/ringer and remarking the housing model.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 05:43:26 PM
Quote from: andre_janew on December 11, 2015, 05:32:53 PM
Yup, that's it! I only remember the housing model from memory, and the fact that it says 'AB1' on the housing instead of 'H1'. I believe a B1 would have a dial

An AB1 handset mounting is for a 251 Type Telephone.  It did have the induction coil, but only a bracket for a frequency-selective ringer, which would be installed by the independent telco.

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 05:47:23 PM

I thought some *AA1*s were converted from a 302 by simply removing the network/condenser/ringer and remarking the housing model.

Why would they do that?  It's even more expensive than just replacing the whole station with the 302.  I don't think there is any BSP for that.
I agree it would be easy to do, but do you have any examples of that?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 05:50:06 PM

Why would they do that?  It's even more expensive than just replacing the whole station with the 302.  I don't think there is any BSP for that.
What about on a magneto line? Would it have even worked with a magneto subset?
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 05:54:36 PM

Replacing the entire station for a magneto line?  No, of course not.  That's why they created the 250 set.
Without it, it would require the 307/299 combination.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 06:02:07 PM

Replacing the entire station for a magneto line?  No, of course not.  That's why they created the 250 set.

Isn't that what I asked--if the 250 (AA1) would work on a magneto? Wouldn't the demand from someone for a more convenient phone on a magneto line prompt someone at a refurbishing center to modify a standard 302 that they would easily have on hand?
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 06:21:30 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 06:02:07 PM

Isn't that what I asked--if the 250 (AA1) would work on a magneto? Wouldn't the demand from someone for a more convenient phone on a magneto line prompt someone at a refurbishing center to modify a standard 302 that they would easily have on hand?

Perhaps I misunderstood.
But why would they modify a 302, rather than using the cheaper 250 upgrade kit?  The 302 is on the books with a value for a certain service class.

unbeldi

The reverse conversion path is documented in the BSPs or catalogs.  Upgrading a 250 set to a 302 by adding an induction coil, cap, and ringer, when service class is changed.  Indeed, those sets can be found occasionally.

WEBellSystemChristian

I just thought that I had seen a couple AA1s out there that were converted from a 302 at one point. I was thinking that the reason why would be that maybe someone would use a standard 302 from a refurbishing center and take 5 minutes to remove the internal components (which they could store away for parts) rather than order an AA1 from WE, which could take days to get to the subscriber. Another possibility is the need for one on a Magneto line in the late '50s/ early '60s, when new 300-series sets were no longer in production. Without an AA1 already on hand, they would need to modify a 302.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 06:47:53 PM
The reverse conversion path is documented in the BSPs or catalogs.  Upgrading a 250 set to a 302 by adding an induction coil, cap, and ringer, when service class is changed.  Indeed, those sets can be found occasionally.

THIS must have been what I was thinking of, the conversion you're mentioning.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10556
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 11, 2015, 07:11:32 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on December 11, 2015, 06:47:53 PM

THIS must have been what I was thinking of, the conversion you're mentioning.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10556

Yes, good example, and a nice set in addition.

I don't think a telco would order standard catalog items like this on a onesy-twosy basis from the factory.  The Associated Companies were required to estimate equipment needs on a quarterly basis and knew by the law of large numbers very closely what they needed to order and probably got regular shipment based on those estimates.