News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Poundland "Antique" bulbs...

Started by twocvbloke, December 15, 2017, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I was in Poundland (UK equivalent to Dollar stores across the pond) and came across a display of "antique" lightbulbs, and being the type of person I am (obsessed with electrical goodies) I bought a selection, a tubular thing, a regular GLS bulb (which is cute as they put a pip on the end to pretend it was evacuated from there!), and a, erm, I don't know what shape to call it, I guess a "pill" shaped bulb with a spiralled filament... ;D

They're all decorative lamps really, the tubular and the "pill" are 40w a piece (and ES based), and the GLS 60w (Bayonet cap), they all have a "stained" look to them to simulate an old bulb that's seen many hours of use, and as such, they all produce a reddish-orange glow, like a slightly dimmed regular filament bulb, so not exactly something you could use for working under or for reading by, they do produce a lot of heat though, that's one thing I miss about filament bulbs, they're useful for a little hand-warmer when used in a desk or table lamp... :)

Not using them for any serious purpose though, I just like having odd novelty things...  ;D

AL_as_needed

We have similar if not the same style of bulbs here at Lowes/Home depot, as well as LED versions. I love the LED ones as they throw a warm light and the visual "filaments" keep that classic look fitting of older lamps etc.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I've had a few LED filament bulbs, but most of them have been broken (clumsiness on my part) or failed (broken bond wires on the LED chips probably), so I've given up with them for now, the ones sold in the UK are too expensive at the moment, and they're not the colour temperature I like (between 3000k to 4200k), so I've just been using 3000k Poundland LED bulbs which do the job nicely... :)

AE_Collector

So there is nothing LED about these bulbs...correct? Otherwise, why would they produce heat.

Around here I've been seeing similar Antique looking bulbs in pubs, restaurants and many other locations. I assumed they were all LED and I have been tempted to wrap a hand around one to verify the lack of heat but the thought of my wife yelling at me has so far kept that from happening. Seeing these bulbs makes me realize that they may or may not be LED.

As for the LED filament style bulbs, is it a single LED somehow produced in a long thin filament or is it a large number of tiny LED's printed onto a filament?

I hadn't thought about UK bulbs not being bayonet based now? Is UK in process of converting to screw base bulbs or is it a matter of built in wiring and fixtures maintaining the bayonet base while imported lamps and such coming with screw base fixtures inside? Must be a PITA having both styles of bulb in use.

They have tried to bring in GU10 base bulbs/fixtures in Canada and probably the USA but it doesn't seem to me it has really taken hold. Once CFLs we're solidly taking hold I started to see these GU10 fixtures at Costco. The GU10 CFL bulbs were double the price of a comparable screw base CFL bulb so having done this bit of homework first, no GU10 fixtures ever went home with me.

Terry

twocvbloke

Yep, nothing LED about these, they're tungsten filament bulbs, so energy-sucking, heat-releasing traditional bulbs... :)

LED filaments are a series of LED chips on a glass or metal substrate, with a phosphor-doped silicone applied over the top, and of course connected with fine bond wires which are often the failing point of them sadly...

As for UK bulbs, due to the influx of forriners selling their wares, we have a mix of ES and Bayonet fittings, my lamps, bought from Ikea, are all E27, my glass shade above I wanted a pull-switch on so ordered a US-style one to fit to it, but the majority of the bulbs in the house are Bayonets, so, yeah, it' a bit of a mess, I do prefer bayonets though, they're quicker to fit and stay put, whereas ES can gradually unscrew in lamps that are moved about a lot, which is a bit of a nuisance...

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 16, 2017, 11:54:49 AM
So there is nothing LED about these bulbs...correct? Otherwise, why would they produce heat.

Around here I've been seeing similar Antique looking bulbs in pubs, restaurants and many other locations. I assumed they were all LED and I have been tempted to wrap a hand around one to verify the lack of heat but the thought of my wife yelling at me has so far kept that from happening. Seeing these bulbs makes me realize that they may or may not be LED.

As for the LED filament style bulbs, is it a single LED somehow produced in a long thin filament or is it a large number of tiny LED's printed onto a filament?

I hadn't thought about UK bulbs not being bayonet based now? Is UK in process of converting to screw base bulbs or is it a matter of built in wiring and fixtures maintaining the bayonet base while imported lamps and such coming with screw base fixtures inside? Must be a PITA having both styles of bulb in use.

They have tried to bring in GU10 base bulbs/fixtures in Canada and probably the USA but it doesn't seem to me it has really taken hold. Once CFLs we're solidly taking hold I started to see these GU10 fixtures at Costco. The GU10 CFL bulbs were double the price of a comparable screw base CFL bulb so having done this bit of homework first, no GU10 fixtures ever went home with me.

Terry

Terry,

I don't know anything about these LED bulbs. Here are some pictures of the only one I have, that may or may not help answer your question.

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 16, 2017, 11:54:49 AM

Terry,

Put one of these in your back pocket, or have you wife stuff it in her purse since she has the problem with your experimentation.

I have two, one in the dungeon for many uses and one in the kitchen for cooking, frying pan temperature (when the throw in the food). In the dungeon, it ranks right up there in the most important tool to have with the DVM, ring generator and lug crimper.

They are cheaper from China and I think Harbor Freight has them on sale for $10. They are all the same. This one is just posted as an example, many can be found on eBay from different sellers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temperature-Temp-Gun-Sensor-Measuring-Heat-Point-Infrared-IR-Thermomete/282774270943

AL_as_needed

Carrying a temp-gun into a restaurant may play to your advantage, staff may assume your with the health dept and try and bribe you with a few free drinks...served at proper temp of course.

...or that could backfire and you get extra burnt or spat in food.... that would be my luck in such a case.
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

The Incandescent and the LED version of these bulbs really look the same to me. So far heat looks to be the easiest way to tell he difference. Likely a real close look at the filament might ID it but otherwise they look remarkably similar. I guess one could look at how fast the electric meter is spinning though my meter doesn't have a spinning component to it any more.

Terry

twocvbloke

A quick and easy way to identify LED Filament bulbs is the filaments are individual strips, whereas in an incandescent bulb, the filament is one long wire that zig-zags about or is wrapped around a frame, etc., of course you do have to stare at the bulb for a while to actually be able ot see the filaments, which isn't a good thing if you need to be able to see for the next hour afterwards... ;D

Oh, and some LED filaments will be different colours too... :)

AE_Collector

So each of those bulbs in that picture are LED bulbs? Each of those led filaments are maybe 2" long and are made up of many small LEDs in a row? Roughly how many individual LEDs would there potentially....100 possibly?

Terry

twocvbloke

Yep, they're all LEDs, though the number of LED chips on the filaments varies (not exactly a standard number), the blue one (which is the bare LED chips with a clear silicone gel with no phosphors) I think had 24 chips per filament, so 96 per bulb, and that's a "4 watt" bulb, there are different wattages out there that have 2, 4, 6 and 8 filaments, and each filament equating to about 1 watt per piece making it easy to identify what power they are just by counting the filaments, and as for the length of the filaments, they're about 1.5" in length, so not all that big really... :)

On and off up close.

twocvbloke

That one's definitely a squirrel cage incandescent bulb... :)

Babybearjs

I have a friend in N.Y. who collects antique lamps too... originals, no LEDs.  his name is Daniel Fenner... He also makes new vintage light strings that use the old E-10 15 Volt Christmas lights.  but his passion is the Antique lights bulbs.... He's got quite a collection...
John