News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The B&H Kerosene Lamp Date Aug 30 1892

Started by Doug Rose, April 06, 2018, 01:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan and I got this last Summer and it was a mess, that's why it took me until April to play with it. It looked like it was all rusty and brass. I couldn't find a phone to work on so I gave it a try. Fine Steel wool with a liquid metal cleaner. I rubbed it and the nickel started to appear. No way I thought it was nickel and the feet were rusted pretty good.

Really in amazing shape, brass is showing through in place but looks great from a fewf feet away.

Pat dates Aug 30 1892
              Dec 31 1895
               Apl 23 1896
Black Cap Jul   1 1994

Wick looks like it was never used and it is empty. I got it as I saw some many great Lanterns refurbed on the Forum by Teleplay John, but I honestly thought it was too far gone. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. This is exactly how it was found, just a little cleaner.

My intent was to start a phone refurb, when I couldn't find one to work on, this beauty caught my eye. I didn't hold high hopes for it so I didn't bother go to get my camera for before shots....Doug

Kidphone

twocvbloke

Looks good, just add fuel and it'll probably work perfectly, that's one thing about vintage lamps, they were built to last... :)

Fabius

Stop it! Stop showing these great lamps. I'm finding it hard not to start collecting them.

Great looking lamp.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Ah go on, you know you need at least one lamp!!!  ;D

Doug Rose

Thanks guys....thanks to Teleplay John, I now look for Lanterns as well. First Pat Date is 125 years old and I don't think it was ever used. I want to keep it but I think it might push Janet over the edge, then again the house is full of wonderful antiques I have refinished from yard sales and fleas. My youngest daughter loves the stuff we get and now her house is filling with our finds. My favorite rocker is now in her sunroom  8) ...Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Doug; Between 100 plus year old lamps and potty seats....... I think its an easy choice  ;D

Great work on getting the finish back! Lanterns/lamps are a great break from phones as they aren't as technically involved but just as rewarding to work on.
TWinbrook7