News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Canada

Started by emtaylor, August 15, 2011, 08:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emtaylor

I just purchased this phone and would love to make it work. I've looked around and can't seem to find the wiring diagram anywhere. I came across this site and figured if none of you know then nobody will. The handset is still wired but the wiring to the phonejack is missing.

LarryInMichigan

Welcome to the forum.  Your phone an AE80.  One of the wiring diagrams here: http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=265&Itemid=11 should be right for it.  There may be terminals marked "L1" and "L2" in the phone.  You want to connect the red and green wires from the phone line cord to these two terminals.  Polarity does not matter.

Larry

AE_Collector

Go with this one for a Manually Compensated AE80 with Potted Network:

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1860&Itemid=11

Welcome to the Rotary Phone Forum. Are you in Canada or was your phone an Illegal Imigrant to the USA?

Terry

emtaylor

I've been looking for one and told the wife if she see's any at a garage sale to pick it up if the price was reasonable. The guy wanted $10, she gave him $5.
To answer your question it's an illegal import.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: AE_collector on August 15, 2011, 11:30:40 AM
Go with this one for a Manually Compensated AE80 with Potted Network:

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1860&Itemid=11

Welcome to the Rotary Phone Forum. Are you in Canada or was your phone an Illegal Imigrant to the USA?

Terry

Terry: Is the Dawn Gray AE80 you sold me an illegal immigrant also?
Jorge

AE_Collector

Jorge:

I got a green card for the gray 80 when I took it into the USA to mail to you. Didn't you find it in the box with the phone?

Terry

Wallphone

AE had some nice looking phones and I think the AE 50 is very under rated in price lately but they all seem to be a bear to work on. When it comes to fixing them they could of all stayed north of the border.
I'll fix it as soon as my soldering iron heats up. Here in the Detroit area it was WE country. When I first started eBaying I searched for Western Electric because I thought that was the only manufacturer that made phones. When I saw what else was out there I was like a kid in the candy shop. The first phone I bought on eBay was a WE 211 Spacesaver. I had never seen one before and I thought it was the coolest phone ever. Dummy me paid $89 for that phone. The seller must have wet his pants.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program, my mini hi-jack is over.
Doug Pav

AE_Collector

I don't think that Canada could provide homes for all AE's if they were to all be north of the border but I am willing to provide as much room as I can for colored AE's no matter if they have chrome or gold matte trim.

Terry

stub

emtaylor ,
               Welcome to this forum ! Nice AE- 80. Starting at the 2nd pic of your telephone, the 1st connection on the right side, Red line in wire on the 1st terminal and on the 3rd (moving to the left) gets the green line in wire . Or as Larry said you can reverse if you want to . It doesn't matter for this phone. Hope this helps .      stub

Wallphone- :o North , no no  ;D Just send all those AE's to my place. I'll take them!!!!! ;D

Terry- I'll make the room if I can find the money ;D                   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Well Stub, you have been doing your part I would say!

Terry

stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

emtaylor

Thanx stub, hopefully I'll try to hook it up this weekend.
Are there adapters to hook this up to a modern phonejack?

stub

emtaylor,
              Do you have a POTS line(Plain old telephone service)? You need a rj11 plug(modular) and use the center pair( red & green). I make my own but you can get them from  oldphoneworks.com or off e-bay, Radio Shack. Here's one on e-bay that you could cut in half and have 2 line in cords 12 1/2 ' long. If you have any problem just let me know.    stub

http://tinyurl.com/3jdwrwf
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

The local dollar stores (not Dollar Tree) around here have modular phone cords and jacks, so there is no need to buy them online or pay $$$ at Radio Shack.

Larry