News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Disappearing Phones on ebay?

Started by Sargeguy, April 02, 2013, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Has anyone noticed phones disappearing off eBay lately?  You put them on the watch list and "presto" they disappear a few days later.  Usually have relatively high starting prices, but not too high, and no bids.  Hmmmm.  I"m going to have to start getting less conservative with my placeholder bids.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

I did notice that about once a week all of the phones I was watching sell to someone else and then I start looking at a whole new batch of phones......  :)

Terry

Sargeguy

I'm talking about the ones with pre-mature demise:  "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."  I have had three nice phones that I was watching die an early death with no bids.  Seems like someone cannot wait for the auctions to end.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Telephonemans Daughter

I have not noticed that, but if someone can get to that buyer prior, then that's BS!  Then again, if it were me selling it and someone contacted me to buy it right then and there for a great price?  I can't say I wouldn't go for it! 
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

AE_Collector

Usually they contact you with what seems like a great price because they suspect that you don't know the value of what you have.

Several years ago I was watching a nice AE red 40. Suddenly it was gone. I contacted the seller asking where it went. She said someone wanted it right away for a Christmas present and offered her $250 so she took it. I sent her a link to a very similar one that sold a couple of weeks earlier for $1500 which at the time was the normal price for one of these. She replied that she really could have used that extra money to get through Christmas.

Terry

Telephonemans Daughter

You would think people would Google their models and read up on it and see where it sells for. 
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

AE_Collector

For someone who really doesn't know anything about phones it probably isn't easy to do a search for similar phones that have sold. Search for red rotary phone and there are probably many with a $5 starting price that got no bids at all. They would have to know that it was red, an Automatic Electric and a model 40 to search and then you could go for a month without one appearing on ebay.

Terry

southernphoneman

I have noticed the good ones disappearing fast, but lately there just does not seem to be a lot to choose from. at least not the ones in my collection category.

Sargeguy

It"s against eBay rules, and annoying when it"s a phone you really want.  I will admit, however, that I was seriously tempted when I discovered the newly listed San Francisco Potbelly with no bids.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

southernphoneman

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 02, 2013, 10:23:04 PM
Has anyone noticed phones disappearing off eBay lately?  You put them on the watch list and "presto" they disappear a few days later.  Usually have relatively high starting prices, but not too high, and no bids.  Hmmmm.  I"m going to have to start getting less conservative with my placeholder bids.
I have noticed disappearing phones yes, but, I have noticed that there are not a lot of phones to choose from like a few months ago. I know that it is a hit and miss kind of thing, but , I just came off of ebay, just browsing and they are either to expensive or there is lack of quality.