News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

IV36 302 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, April 06, 2016, 04:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Dates match, feet are wrong and no mention of a Grated grill. Not for the faint of heart!....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/j4t799g
Kidphone

poplar1

He does claim it has vents in both places:

Western Electric 1936/1937 Model 302, apparently a 1936 PRE-release of Western Electric's 1937 NEW LINE of phones. Truly a VERY RARE FIND in American telephones, . . .maybe as (or MORE) rare than most mid 1920's W.E. 102 phones ! Made of heavy metal (not plastic as subsequents), contains the under-cradle VENTED model, SHORT cradle-'ears', 4H 1920's/1930's'clickity-clack' dial SOUND, cloth cords, and the E1 handset.  Take special notice of the '1936' dating on many of the vital electronic components in both the body and handset. Note also to how the unit is composed of a combination of both early and later 1937 features in order to get this product on the PRE-market, such as attachment method of leather footings to the base and vent-holes additionally on bottom of phone.  The phone-body itself though appears to have been repainted at some time. I have provided many photos of all important angles, . . .if more, let me know. PayPal only.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

The induction coil is the thing that stands out in my mind.       I have 3 early Western 101A induction coils,  II - 1936,  I-1937 and II - 1937.     The 1936, and first quarter 1937 induction coils are of the early type.      That is that the core laminates are held together with No. 4 machine screws and hex nuts, and the top terminal deck sits on top the the slotted heads of the machine screws, and held in place by two copper bands with tabs at each end.      The copper bands are situated on top of the iron laminate cores, and held in place by the same machine screws that hold the laminates in place.
The 4 tabs at each end of the copper bands, curl up and over the terminal deck, holding it in place.
The terminal screws on all 3 of the early 101-A induction coils, are made of exposed brass.       The 2nd quarter 1937 induction coil, is in a 1937 first generation Western 302.      The iron core laminates and top deck are riveted together, in similar fashion as the remaining productions years in which the 101-A induction coil was produced.
The date stamps on the II-36, and I-37 coils, are stamped in vermilion red ink, and located on the "mahogany looking" fiber end plates which support the magnet wire windings.   IND 101A is stamped into the fiber board at the opposite end.     The earlier of the 3 induction coils, have the windings wrapped in something similar to friction tape.       The II - 37 coil is wrapped in a material which almost looks like a fine checked design of cloth, but with a lacquer or shellac outer coating that was still in use years later.    The type number and date is stamped on the top of the coil is the same as well "101A IND with II-37 underneath .        If there's no date stamp on the induction coil anywhere, I'd suspect it's been rubbed off with rubbing alcohol, lacquer thinner or acetone.

Conductors from the ringer and hook switch should be soldered spade connectors.      The condenser may have self piercing spades.    I have a condenser marked III-37 which is actually painted with a grey/blue paint ( peeling of course as paint doesn't stick to lead very well)     It's stamped with an ink stamp "195 A CONDENSER III-37 WESTERN ELECTRIC U.S.A."
The opening at the top of the condenser where the 4 conductors emerge, resembles a sort of "turtle neck".     Odd compared to later versions.
If anyone wants photos of any of the above components, let me know.

Jeff Lamb

andre_janew

Did anyone notice a 12-48 date on the transmitter capsule?

Ktownphoneco

I noticed that as well, but they do get switched with the factory originals from time to time, especially the early versions with the screw on outer terminal ring that can loosen up and start losing carbon granules.      But it's still an indicator nonetheless.

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

Also, the "basket weave" fabric jackets on the cords indicate 1942 or later.
Note "H1-3" stamped in back of housing above the cord entrance. By 7-37, that was shortened to "H1."

TelePlay

The shell has been painted.

poplar1

Here is a 101-type induction coil in a III 36 wall set. It is the old style that Jeff mentioned:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9396.msg100632#msg100632

unbeldi

Well, I am going to say what others seem to be thinking as well; my impression of the set was such that I would not pay a quarter of the asking price, for all the reasons already stated here.
I think the set was probably found in bad condition, and refitted with parts and painted to give the 'right' look. Perhaps this was done in refurbishing when they did have to resurrect any equipment to be found during the war, but why would that induction coil not have a date stamp if it was changed in refurbishing; replacement 101As did carry them too.  Only because someone removed it. The dates are all over the place. Only the base plate, ringer, condenser, and housing appear original to the advertised time.  The dial was probably swapped in, notice that the dial adapter is probably not a 59A, but likely a 59B, and it is black.  The handset is from 1934 and the cords were not installed by a WECo professional.

Let's see:
4H dial : $60
E1 hs:    $35
cords:    $25
coil:       $  5
'36 housing: $70
'36 base w/o coil:      $50
What's the total?

The only 101A induction coils without date stamp, are those in –W sets for catalog sales.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's another shot of the touched up areas of the housing.

The price is a little ridiculous, but given the possibility that the dial, cords, and handset were probably decades apart in terms of dates; the seller, or whoever rebuilt it, did alright. The dial is the correct year and only one quarter shy of the chassis (and correct type for late '36). It was installed with a 59B instead of a 59A O-ring likely in the wrong color, but can't we be thankful that it was at least installed with a genuine WE O-ring in the correct manner? The cords have the correct jacketing (not the same weave pattern though), the handset is the correct type, and the paint was fixed up a little without going so far as to disturb any interior dates or markings.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

If what unbeldi says is true, this phone is way overpriced.  A $250 price would be more reasonable.

Dan/Panther

Is the handset cracked ? Overpriced in my opinion.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

I agree....way over priced. Feet are wrong and there is no wood spacer. Its a $150 phone with a cracked E-1 and that is for the dates and the dial. The shell has to be stripped and redone. I do like the H1-3, I had forgotten about it and had to check mine.

Christian...what ever happened to your 36 302 Shell.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

I had emailed the seller whether the induction coil has any dates on it, and got the answer it does not.

By second quarter 37 the date was printed on the winding cover, but before, it was on the side of the cardboard spool.

I think the dial card is also home made.  I find it very strange that a station number would be in the 9000 block, as it is 9944.  Usually that range was reserved for payphones.

poplar1

I agree that "99xx" sounds like a typical coin line.  However, phone numbers in the 9000 block were not reserved only for coin lines, as this would tie up 1,000 lines per office (of 10K lines) for a much smaller number of coin phones. My first line -- a 4FR (4 party flat rate) -- in high school was 404 762-9068.

Operators were required to "check for coin" when making collect calls to a line in a number block that might be a coin line. That digit was not always 9.  I believe Bell Canada used 0xxx.