"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hammered Bronze Red Bar

Started by Pourme, February 07, 2018, 09:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

After using Rust-Olem's Hammered silver spray on a metal 302 body, documented here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19696.0

I wanted to try again, different color, different phone. I experimented with Krylon brand to make sure I used the best of the two paints. In my experience, Krylon don't hold a candle to Rust-Olem. However, I much prefer the Rust-Olem that requires primer rather the kind that does not. Here is the thread that documents when I first bought this phone for $9.99+ on EBAY:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17148.msg176780#msg176780

Later I stripped the not so great paint job and displayed it with it's bare metal body:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17216.msg177601#msg177601

I went over it with some light sandpaper and acetone & sprayed it with black primer.
After spraying it initially with the Bronze hammer spray, I baked it at 300* for a hour. I wasn't pleased with the results. Some areas clearly had a much better "hammered" results than others.  It was very inconsistent. It was clear I needed to change my technique to yield more consistent results.

I learned to get the best and most consistent appearance I should spray each side as it was mounted as level as possible. In doing so you could then spray it much thicker than you would ever spray a gloss paint. Mounting it level would keep the paint from running down hill & render a much better hammered appearance. I sprayed each side and let it sit for several hours, rotated, sprayed and repeated until finished.

In the pictures you will see, I used a busted, cracked up plastic 302 body to stabilize the body for spraying. Car restorers use a "rotisserie" when they restore a car. I need to design one for spraying a phone!

I again baked the finished phone for one hour at about 150* and stepped it up to 300* for another hour and let it cool down in the closed oven.

I am 100% pleased with the results! This red bar looks fantastic, IMO! It looks so good I am considering respraying the silver 302 utilizing my new procedure.

The original cords are very stiff and difficult to manage. I will replace them when I locate suitable replacements. I may use black cloth covered cords for display while keeping the original ones for prosperity. Just a thought.

I know some will disagree with the stripping and repainting a phone, even if the original paint is in bad condition. However, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Phone looks great.

Reading what your did, came to mind to ask if you have thought about building a painting turn table?

I bought one of these (below) at Home Depot for cheap compared to what they do.

I cut two square 1/2" thick pieces of particle board (the diagonal of the square should be at least 1" less than the depth of the spray box you are using, put the ring between the squares and place it in the center of the spray box making sure it spins 360° without hitting sides or the back of the box. You can angle cut the corners of the top square to better clear the  box sides.

With this, I can paint all sides of a housing at once and I do so by lightly spraying the housing as I rotate it until it has a coat I am happy with. That lets me spray all of the area starting with the top and working down to the bottom.

Doesn't spraying one side at a time create lap marks and of course, take a lot more time to do the whole housing?

I also use the turntable to take pictures of some items rather than having to turn the item for each different shot. I just rotate the turntable. That works well for knick knack kind of stuff, one piece smaller items.

Pourme

The issue I experienced is unique to hammered paint, is has to be applied relativity thick to attain the desired effect. Because of that aspect, it is necessary for the surface to be horizontal an nearly level to deter runs. Traditional thin coat build ups don't seem to work for maximum hammered effect.  If someone has experience with this application, I'd like to hear of your input. 

Your turn table is a good idea for most other paint situations for sure.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on February 07, 2018, 02:30:28 PM
The issue I experienced is unique to hammered paint, is has to be applied relativity thick to attain the desired effect. Because of that aspect, it is necessary for the surface to be horizontal an nearly level to deter runs. Traditional thin coat build ups don't seem to work for maximum hammered effect.

Ah, missed that in your explanation of how you did it. Makes sense.

I have the paint but haven't tried it yet. I can still see using the turntable with one side flat up so it can be rotated to get the edges of each side of the horizontal surface, to minimize the overlap issue.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice job, Benny!! Looks great!! ;)

If you find any more phones with damaged housings, try out some different textures and colors! Your results sure look nice!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on February 07, 2018, 11:12:21 AM...if you have thought about building a painting turn table?

Bumping this thread to add an image of a wooden (cake decorating) turntable which I purchased a while back to do exactly this. It has a good sized diameter, easily holds a phone shell.

Great idea, would not have thought of it prior to reading this.
👍
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Pourme on February 07, 2018, 09:53:48 AM...I know some will disagree with the stripping and repainting a phone, even if the original paint is in bad condition. However, I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Wow!  That looks great!

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 20, 2022, 10:51:13 PMBumping this thread to add an image of a wooden (cake decorating) turntable which I purchased a while back to do exactly this. It has a good sized diameter, easily holds a phone shell.

Great idea, would not have thought of it prior to reading this.
👍
Used a old Lazy Susan for years and had two different sizes, one for large items and one for small.
Back then you could pick them up in 2nd hand stores cheap, for a $1 or two. Had to make one this
time cause in the move I had to leave a lot behind. If your going to paint I think its a must have.