News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the heck is this??

Started by Grumpy99705, January 26, 2012, 02:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy99705

I appeal to everyone out there that is smarter than I on these matters.
Which is pretty much everyone on this forum.
I saw this on ebay this morning (alaska time) and it made my head hurt the longer I looked at it.
A Kellogg candlestick connected to what I think started life as a WE634 subset.
But.. they installed a mid 60's dial and have what  to me looks like an actuator to engage the internally mounted hook switch, rather than the hook switch on the phone.
unfortunately the govt network I am on won't allow me to post pictures or insert a link
It's listed as: Antique Kellogg candlestick phone & Western Electric ringer box.
Item number: 380405580456
My question(s) is; Am I seeing this right?
This, for me, begs the question: Why?
Granted, I am new to collecting, but I've never seen anything like this.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Russ Kirk

Here are 2 of of the ebay photos

My guess as to why; Because someone that is a bit handy and NOT a collector wanted to make a buck. 

At lease he did not ruin the candlestick also.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

What a tragic waste of a good subset. 

Larry

twocvbloke

I think you could call that a frankenphone's monster creation... :o

Grumpy99705

So... what would the second set of wires with the alligator clips be used for?
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Grumpy99705 on January 26, 2012, 05:48:47 PM
So... what would the second set of wires with the alligator clips be used for?

Ringing voltage across the eyebrows? ???

bwanna

donna

Phonesrfun

Ignoring the total blasphemy of it all, I think Dr. Frankenphone did a pretty decent job of the modification.  Maybe the extra set of wires is for a DC source to actuate the solenoid.  Can't tell without seeing the wiring details, but with the network, he would need the model 500 style hookswitch to be entirely compatible, but it seems like the clunk of the solenoid would drive anyone crazy.

-Bill G

dpaynter1066

More spare time than class or sense.   I think this is what the phrase "knowing just enough to be dangerous" means. 

Put this one up on the shelf with all the Victorian oil lamps some dolt has electrified with a drill and the antique radios that are gutted to make cheesy bars for cheap liquor and candlestick lamps with the plastic wrap still on the shade.

Pity.

TelePlay

Well, at least it's still a good candlestick . . . plus parts.

And, yes, it was a good subset.  :-\

Grumpy99705

the scary thing is; after 18 bids, it went for $132.00

dsk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 26, 2012, 10:11:28 PM
Ignoring the total blasphemy of it all, I think Dr. Frankenphone did a pretty decent job of the modification.  Maybe the extra set of wires is for a DC source to actuate the solenoid.  Can't tell without seeing the wiring details, but with the network, he would need the model 500 style hookswitch to be entirely compatible, but it seems like the clunk of the solenoid would drive anyone crazy.

I could have made this myselves, when I was 15.  A creative fantasy, limited experience, and just having those parts, and no money. :)

With that subset closed It did what the old magneto subsets did. Ir rang, it solved the need of an induction coil, and it contained what you needed to place a call, (Dial instead of a magneto)
The drawback was the network, not suitable for a subset, because you couldn't break the dial tone.
The first idea was the solenoid, that's where it ended.  :-\

The price??
Some has the the money and want to pay. Lucky seller!

dsk