News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a soft yellow 500!

Started by Dan, May 27, 2010, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Three yard sales this year--all were yellow (plus one black) and all were hard plastic ( I have a  yellow 1972 benchwarmer already). Finally saw one on ebay. The original yellows are difficult, it seems.

http://tinyurl.com/36rauvd

EDIT: Link dead 1-26-18

Hopefully the handset is original too!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

For some reason, the listing is no longer available. Did you buy it off ebay or missed a character of the URL?

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Try this one.........

http://tinyurl.com/2u3pvaj
EDIT: Link dead 1-26-18

Dennis Markham

Nice phone.  It looks like it could be what you've been waiting for, Dan.  It looks like there is a 426 tube inside.

Dennis Markham

If the handset is not soft plastic, it looks like there may be one here:

http://tinyurl.com/353q4lq EDIT: Link dead 1-26-18

First one on the left..........

Dan

Thanks. How do you know a 426 tube is inside? Do all 501's have them? I have two 501's with no tubes.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Looking at the photo of the bottom, there is a small hex nut visible.  I'm pretty sure that is holding on the 426A tube.  I don't know if the all the 501's have the tube, or HAD the tube at one time. Look on the left side, next to that little piece of tape.  The front housing screw looks loose.  Maybe he looked under the hood.  The 501 Series are listed on Paul F's site here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

I can't believe the seller turned the phone upside down on the asphalt!  

Dan

Thanks Dennis, I'll post pictures under the hood when I get it. It will be cool to see the tube.

I know Dan/P has a 1951 500T with a tube on another thread. Does the light go through the fingerwheel slot to light the dial (such as an early pre 500 U or 500 P/U mushroom)? I am wondering the reason for the tube.

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Good question, I would like to know the answer to that also. My 501, has a 426A tube, also has a 425A network, and is designated 501T.
Does yours have the T ?
I'm really confused about what exactly the letters stand for. According to Paul's site, a 500 set with an 425A network, and a 426A tube should be a 500H, and not even 501H, let alone 501T ???? Help!!! Will someone explain the lettering, or is there no explanation available? In the early sets did Party line automatically mean a 426A was used ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Dan I modified my earlier post to include your phone  and boom you made a post here. How does your tube work or what is the function?

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

I saw that one today and was considering bidding on it, but I did not.  So I think that, as a gesture of appreciation for not bidding up the price, you should give the phone to me ;D

Larry

Dan

Thanks Larry, me thinks you got the Dan's mixed up, I  am pantherless Dan, formerly known as Dan to the second power.

McHeath

Nice buy.  I was following that phone and figured that it would go for far more, soft plastic yellows seem rare and this one does not look faded.  Hopefully the plastics are original, and that would be a nice bonus to have the tube in it. 

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dan on May 27, 2010, 10:27:44 PM
Dan I modified my earlier post to include your phone and boom you made a post here. How does your tube work or what is the function?

From what I understand it's function has to do with a party line ring. The tube is painted Black so it was not meant to be seen. I removed the paint from mine to watch what happens when it rings. If you can't get yours to work the wiring diagram is located here.

D/P

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2768.0

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

Quote from: Dan on May 27, 2010, 10:15:52 PM

I know Dan/P has a 1951 500T with a tube on another thread. Does the light go through the fingerwheel slot to light the dial (such as an early pre 500 U or 500 P/U mushroom)? I am wondering the reason for the tube.
Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 27, 2010, 10:25:49 PM
Dan;
Good question, I would like to know the answer to that also. My 501, has a 426A tube, also has a 425A network, and is designated 501T.
Does yours have the T ?
I'm really confused about what exactly the letters stand for. According to Paul's site, a 500 set with an 425A network, and a 426A tube should be a 500H, and not even 501H, let alone 501T ???? Help!!! Will someone explain the lettering, or is there no explanation available? In the early sets did Party line automatically mean a 426A was used ?
D/P

Dans,
The cold cathode tube was the device used to cause an interruption in the ringdown circuit on partyline sets.  These were how Bell could assign a specific ring to one house on one line with (up to)eight different subscribers on it.  the tube would allow the telco to ring one house as 2 shorts, one long, 1 long, two shorts, etc.  Remember, this is not frequency ringing.  Every call made to this line rang every phone on it every time.  The coded ring signals were how you knew which call was yours.  The 501 is what tells you these phones were partyline sets.  Pauls site gives the best explanation of the letter meanings.  Also, you normally wouldn't see any light given off an operating tube.  They were all originally coated with gloss black paint.  BTW, this is a great find, Dan.
Stephen