News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fake Candlestick Auctions

Started by Sargeguy, December 11, 2008, 10:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The Al Capone's phone thread got me thinking.  I am looking for a reasonably priced old candlestick, but before I drop the $$$ a "reasonably" priced candlestick would cost, I am trying to educate myself on fakes.

REAL OLD?

This one is pretty obvious, even to me:
> Candlestick No. 1 <

And this one with the blurry photo of the dial and no bids:
> Candlestick No. 2 <

This one is another Korean fake if I am not mistaken:
> Candlestick No. 3 <

This one looks suspicious:
> Candlestick No. 4 <

Fake???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

All fake... EXCEPT the first one!  The first one is actually a British candlestick, which is why it looks a little different.  Correct stick, correct receiver, the dial is a standard British BPO dial, and the dial card is a standard British dial card.  The dial card isn't as old as the phone, so it was probably replaced at some point later in it's life.  It's the real deal, though, and just like ours, it's gonna need a subset.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I actually just figured that out looking at another British phone up on eBay identical to my "obvious fake".  Still, if its British it might as well be fake. :D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

the last three really speaks that they are fakes

McHeath

The first one got my attention with that woven cord, I thought, huh, ain't that British?  And then the dial card certainly looked Anglo, but I was guessing it was made in Hong Kong or something in the old days and they simply patterned it off English equipment.  So if it's real what's it worth?

BDM

Sarge, besides what you already know, read this carefully
http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

oldphoneman mentions the following (see link above)

"10. Improper stamping of dates on front of base."

The first picture shows a fake 51-AL. Notice that the dates are near the top of the edge, instead of near the bottom.

The second picture is a real 51-AL. Note the position of the dates.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Here's one that is half real and half fake. The real part was originally a type 22; that's the one with a "Hershey's Kiss" perch and a screw in the stem. Sadly, only the stem and perch and maybe the hookswitch remain.

The rubber receiver, "November 1910" transmitter cup, dial base and cords are all new. The transmitter is from a later candlestick or wall phone, the dial is a 5H from a 302 or a 4H from a 202.

Whoever removed the nickel and added all these fake parts is IMO worse than someone who would make an original phone into a lamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171073253347

poplar1

More pictures of the Type 22 + repro mix

Sargeguy

Wow, I started collecting candlesticks 5 years ago!!!  I am averaging a little less than one candlestick per month since then. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409