News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray payphone questions

Started by wds, December 17, 2013, 09:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I'm watching this Payphone on Ebay - I don't currently have any phones to compare this one to, and I'm wondering if it is worth the money.  Is this authentic, and/or what is it worth?  I would like to buy this one, but I don't want to over spend.

http://tinyurl.com/l6k9sck
Dave

HarrySmith

I was looking at that one too. I am far from a paystation expert but one thing that caught my eye as wrong is the coin return bucket. I believe they just had an open hole for coin return.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Coin chute seems AE same as coin return bucket, I'm not sure about transmitter but have doubts, not much original left inside, coin slot don't look like pre 50s, instruction card seems to be photocopied and that's only a quick look over - I wouldn't buy.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

wds

thanks.  I'm surprised that internal parts are so interchangeable between WE and AE (and Gray).  I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be any wires going to the transmitter.
Dave

poplar1

Coin chute has transmitter to pick up sound of gongs; this transmitter isn't needed when the transmitter for talking is mounted on the front of the phone. Also has nickel grabber for 10c service. Single coil coin relay is much too new for this phone, not to mention the Teltronics circuit board. Coin gauge on top is not the original cast one. Can't tell if the transmitter mount is 10A or 8A--the 10A mounts from the inside of the phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

Not to be too finicky about this, but I'm always suspect of someone selling a phone that doesn't even know how to hang up a receiver properly.

You see this all the time from so called "experts".

Just sayin'...........
Cheers........Bill

Phonesrfun

I agree with all that has been sadi.  This phone is too much of a mixture.  Too many pieces brought together to make something that looks authentic and old, but not really.  It's got to be worth something, but the BIN price is too much.  I also think having a photo with the receiver hung upside down is either someone clowning around or someone who just doesn't know any better.  If it is the latter, then the seller may think he(she) has the real deal.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

I just sent a note to the seller, let's see what responce, if any, I get ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 17, 2013, 12:55:41 PM
Not to be too finicky about this, but I'm always suspect of someone selling a phone that doesn't even know how to hang up a receiver properly.

You see this all the time from so called "experts".

Just sayin'...........

Though it is not the correct way, "back in the day" it was not an uncommon way to replace the receiver either.

Also not uncommon was to hold both the receiver and transmitter with one hand while conversing on a deskstand*.

*often incorrectly referred to as a "candlestick" telephone.

HarrySmith

Got a responce, pretty quick:

Dear d_and_h_cool_stuff,

ok, thank you.

To: sellitagainsam80
Subject: Other: d_and_h_cool_stuff sent a message about Antique Pay Phone Gray Manufacturing Company Western Electric Co. 3 Coin Slot #151190545988
Sent Date: Dec-17-13 13:01:49 PST

Dear sellitagainsam80,

Just for your information, this is not an original Gray or Western Electric Paystation. It is a mixture of parts old & new from different manufacturers. You may want to protect yourself from a feedback issue by putting something alluding to that fact in your listing.
Harry

- d_and_h_cool_stuff

EDIT; she added to the listing:
I was informed by ebay message by a collector that he or she believes that this is not an original, but a mixture of different phones put together.  I am not an expert, I just work at a consignment store and am selling this for an older lady it was probably her husbands. If you need more detail that i can find on the phone, please don't hesitate to ask.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Seller added some more pictures also.  Phone has 18 watchers - it will be interesting to see what the final selling price is. 

Update:  phone was listed for $299, did not sell.
Dave