News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using multiple old phones as an intercom system

Started by kirkblackberry, March 06, 2023, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: kirkblackberry on March 16, 2023, 02:11:29 PMwell I received the PBX and it works fine with no programming needed, although I did buy the phone needed to program it should I need to.

Since you were considering several different PBX's, which did you go with, the Panasonic 616 or something else?

kirkblackberry

Yes I bought a 616 very resonably on ebay!

kirkblackberry

Quote from: markosjal on March 16, 2023, 04:05:08 PMI think you should re-evaluate the IP PBX option.

First 3CX is NOT the best solution....

I see what you're saying, and I understand that I would probably have more functionality if I went the VoIP route. I guess maybe I should run some CAT5 and some phone lines to each one of the locations in case I decide to explore another method.

kirkblackberry

I work in the IT industry, I have shelves full of old laptops that I could run software on.

markosjal

Quote from: kirkblackberry on March 16, 2023, 06:05:26 PMI see what you're saying, and I understand that I would probably have more functionality if I went the VoIP route. I guess maybe I should run some CAT5 and some phone lines to each one of the locations in case I decide to explore another method.

You need either cat 5 (or cat 6) to locate the ATA near each phone or phone wire, but not both. Of course if it were me I would run 2x cat5 (or cat 6 ) to each location cause that's the way I am and I can ALWAYS USE A cat 5 (OR CAT 6) for phone

The other advantage you get from going with the Grandstream is the ability to do toone over-dialing from a rotary phone (dial 1 for english , dial 2 for spanish, etc)

ALSO MAKE SURE.... You DO NOT buy Vonage branded units as they are locked to Vonage and you will have to unlock them. This can be done and is not difficult but an additional step
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

kirkblackberry

Quote from: markosjal on March 16, 2023, 06:20:33 PMYou need either cat 5 (or cat 6)...
Yes, as long as I have one pair of wires I can always use it for traditional phone, that's a good idea that way I don't have to buy two different kinds of wire. With your design would each phone have its own extension like the way I would have it set up if I use this PBX? Because what we are mostly trying to accomplish is being able to call from phone to phone.

dsk

A single (POTS) phone need 2 wires, hopefully twisted as cat 3 or higher.
A data transfer for an ATA well done by CAT5, and uses 2 of the 4 pairs. That makes using a data cable makes it possible to have data + 2 phones on the same cable.   (or 2 data outlets)  Both systems are designed to end in a HUB (PABX) pretty similar to a Hub with spokes.

markosjal

Quote from: dsk on March 17, 2023, 05:26:25 AMA single (POTS) phone need 2 wires, hopefully twisted as cat 3 or higher.
A data transfer for an ATA well done by CAT5, and uses 2 of the 4 pairs. That makes using a data cable makes it possible to have data + 2 phones on the same cable.   (or 2 data outlets)  Both systems are designed to end in a HUB (PABX) pretty similar to a Hub with spokes.

Yes but then came Gigabit and CAT6

markosjal

Quote from: kirkblackberry on March 16, 2023, 07:08:03 PMYes, as long as I have one pair of wires I can always use it for traditional phone, that's a good idea that way I don't have to buy two different kinds of wire. With your design would each phone have its own extension like the way I would have it set up if I use this PBX? Because what we are mostly trying to accomplish is being able to call from phone to phone.

Each phone would not HAVE to have its own extension. You can put two phones on the same ATA port if you want. That way it would work just like 2 phones on a single home phone line

kirkblackberry

Quote from: markosjal on March 17, 2023, 03:08:33 PMEach phone would not HAVE to have its own extension. You can put two phones on the same ATA port if you want. That way it would work just like 2 phones on a single home phone line
Our idea, since the property is so large, is to have this sort of an internal phone work where you could call say from the shop up to the kitchen

markosjal

I helped a guy do this on his property with antique phones using Asterisk. His son was familiar with asterisk already and they were happy in the end . He wanted to use all  antique phones. I happened to even have most of the antique phone parts he was looking for like an NE 5H dial , etc.

He has for instance an extension for "the barn" but the barn is big and there is an extension inside and  outside that  ring on the same extension, whereas calling the "living room" would only ring the living room.

One nice feature with asterisk is the ability to make ring groups so that you can make an extension number ring a group of phones. 500 for instance may ring all phones in the house where 501 rings only the living room, and 502 rings only the kitchen, and 503 rings only the master bedroom.

All while 400 may ring the shop and the barn , 401 rings the barn (outside) and 402 rings the barn (inside) , and 403 would ring the shop.

You can break it down however you want but it is always best to plan it

In another example, I built a VoIP phone system across like 100 acres of land in San Miguel de Allende. They already had a wireless network connecting most of it together and we added VoIP phones. Actual phone lines connecting our VoIP lines to the world were available only at one corner of the property, but distributing them over the VoIP network the lines became usable from most anywhere on the property by way of VoIP / WiFi

So at each location you would need either a Phone wire run, an ethernet cable run, or a Wifi connection with wireless bridge.

Happy to help you with it if you lik

I highly recommend you consider the ring groups carefully as you will see that they become key wen trying to locate a person on another part of the property, when you are not sure exactly where.

ka1axy

Quote from: markosjal on March 17, 2023, 03:04:58 PMYes but then came Gigabit and CAT6

I'm running CAT3 in my house (got a load of it free, wired the whole house down to 66 blocks in the basement.

I'm using it for both phone and data. Max run might be 100 feet, and it handles GigE data just fine. Sure, CAT5 is probably better but for short runs, you can get by with CAT3 according to my experience.

Panasonic KX-TAW848 here and I have the programming "console" software as well.