News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Original or Reproduction? Western Electrics Model 102

Started by ChristmasGuy, February 07, 2019, 03:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristmasGuy

Greetings All! This is my Western Electric 102 phone (B1). I was just wondering if you guys can tell me if this looks to be an original or a Repro. The seller I bought this from said that he restored it many years ago. I believe the receiver is a newer version and most of the cords were replaced, and to my knoledge the bottom felt was also replaced by the guy. The Dial card is a fake. But Im not sure of the shell. It's what Im mostly concerned of. Any help provided would be wonderful. Also this phone does not work I believe something is wrong from the way its wired to the ringer box. Have a wonderful day and Adoo! ~JS
Jack Sidlauskas

ChristmasGuy

Darn it. I did it once again put this under the wrong topic, should have been under Deskphones. I swear I am not doing this on purpose :-[ :'( :-\. I'll get it one day :D  ;D ;)
Jack Sidlauskas

RB

No worries.
The over lords will fix it.
Do you have the schematic for that phone?
Very nice, by the way!

ChristmasGuy

Haha! Overlords lol. I wish I had the Schematic, all I can find are the configs for the 202 lol.
Jack Sidlauskas

RB

ChristmasGuy

The Ringerbox goes to a Candlestick, not original to a phone of this time period
Sorry
Jack Sidlauskas

RB

So, you have a phone without a ringer box, and a Ringer box without a candle?
I bet their close tho?

poplar1

It is not a repro.

If the ringer box is a 534A, then it could have been used with a 102 B1 (round) or 102 D1 (oval). The B1 was introduced circa 1927-28, and the smaller subsets with Bakelite covers (584A/684A) would not appear until about 1930-31.

Would help to show the inside of the subset to determine the actual model.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: ChristmasGuy on February 07, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Haha! Overlords lol.

The Over Lords have deemed the topic worthy and proper of movement and has been made so . . .

RB

ChristmasGuy

Quote from: poplar1 on February 07, 2019, 04:06:18 PM
It is not a repro.

If the ringer box is a 534A, then it could have been used with a 102 B1 (round) or 102 D1 (oval). The B1 was introduced circa 1927-28, and the smaller subsets with Bakelite covers (584A/684A) would not appear until about 1930-31.

Would help to show the inside of the subset to determine the actual model.
Here is the subset! I do not know of the model, I forget what the seller listed it as.
Jack Sidlauskas

poplar1

Jack, your photo shows a 534A. The black wire from the B1 is not used. (It appears to be connected to a spare terminal in the subset.)

You can connect the 51-AL the same way as the B1:
Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to Y-L2

This is a sidetone subset, which permits connecting one phone -- or several phones -- to the same subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.