"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here's Something You Don't See Every Day - Soviet Bakelite Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 15, 2010, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Harry;
The Soviets are masters at copying, and making an item with the maximum strength and minimum materials.
We replace everything, they repair almost everything.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

QuoteFor the curious among us, what was the shipping price on the label

It appears to be 107.58 LT which is more than US$40.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I cleaned and reassembled the phone, and it looks great (in a Soviet sort of way).  The sound quality from the transmitter is horrible though.  I ended up soldering wires to the back of the capsule because the contacts inside the handset were so unreliable, but the frequency response is very poor, and there is some static.  I tried a T1 transmitter (which fits well within the space) with soldered leads, but the sound quality is still poor, albeit better than the original transmitter. 

The ringer works, but of course, there is no bias spring, so it taps when I lift the handset or dial from another phone.

Larry

Russ Kirk

The ringer works, but of course, there is no bias spring, so it taps when I lift the handset or dial from another phone.

Larry
[/quote]

Ahhh,  maybe that was the way the Soviets in the cold war era were aware of phone taps.  They would listen for the telltale ding when another spy called from an extension.  <grin>

I have a Soviet phone also.  I am amazed they even got into space when they cannot build a decent telephone.  On my set the slotted screws are not even slotted in the middle of screw head, they are offset by about 20%. 

But it is a cool phone to show off with the Cyrillic lettering and always makes for the good story.

Russ.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

Russ,

These phones are good testimony as to what happens when everything is done by government.

How is the sound quality on yours?

Larry

Russ Kirk

Hi Larry,

Did not get a chance to hook it up and check out the dial tone. 

My house move started shortly after I got the phone. Geeze,  for some reason my realtor said my office walls covered in 100+ phones would not be attractive to a prospective house buyer. What is this world coming to? ???

Now my whole phone collection is packed up and sitting in several dozen boxes in the garage.  :'( :'( :'(

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

Quotefor some reason my realtor said my office walls covered in 100+ phones would not be attractive to a prospective house buyer.

It is amazing what sorts of bizarre things can be seen in some homes on the market.  A year or two ago, I stumbled over a website created by a real estate agent with pictures of houses for sale with various weird things.  100+ phones on the walls would not even come close to things shown in those pictures.

Larry