News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A fun productive day and pictures of a couple of Public Telephone signs.

Started by Greg G., January 15, 2015, 08:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I was ordered by Anita to not do any household business and go have some fun.  So after I bought the pink Trimline, I went to "Antique Row" in a town near the seller (Snohomish, WA) and spent a good part of the day exploring the antique shops.  Although I did find some phones, they were the usual over-priced stuff.

In the last shop I came across these 2 signs.  I'm most curious about the "M. Telephone" sign that has a Bell System bell, but doesn't have any words on the bell.  Anybody know?  The other sign was definitely a Bell System sign, but the price seemed high.  I also found a couple of WW2 era aircraft carrier microphones, which I also passed over.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

The connections sign is a nice sign but not $549 nice. The arrow sign is also nice especially in good condition. Never seen one with a M before. Did the other side also have the M? The only thing I can think of is the M (motor) indicates a call from car phone?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I think it is a highway sign and is the m stands for miles.  There would have been a number placed on it depending on the distance.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The public telephone sign is nice.  I have seen the regular ones fetch $350 and I think the "connections" would add a few bucks to it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 15, 2015, 09:08:29 PM
I think it is a highway sign and is the m stands for miles.  There would have been a number placed on it depending on the distance.

You jarred my memory. I think you're right.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on January 15, 2015, 09:01:00 PM
The arrow sign is also nice especially in good condition. Never seen one with a M before. Did the other side also have the M?

Yes, the second picture is the opposite side, taken from outside the shop.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Bob Alexander shows a similar sign, without the "M", and  with a blank '39 bell.  The caption says that signs of that type were used "all over the Sierra Nevada range"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 15, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
Bob Alexander shows a similar sign, without the "M", and  with a blank '39 bell.  The caption says that signs of that type were used "all over the Sierra Nevada range"

So is that a '39 bell?  What about the $349 price tag?
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

That's a 21' bell, the similar one in the book has a 39' bell. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 16, 2015, 04:28:45 PM
That's a 21' bell, the similar one in the book has a 39' bell.

The arrow with the M in the photo? That's a '39 bell. Look at the lack of detail in the bell hanger compared to the '21 bell.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is another recent sale of a sign similar to the first one.  This one did pretty well considering the damage.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409