News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Buried Cable Sign Bell Canada

Started by ....., February 19, 2015, 04:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy,

I bought this sign for $10.00. It is going to be delivered to me shortly. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks
Doug

Sargeguy

I have never seen this one before.  You can't go wrong for 10 bucks!!!  Make sure you post better pics when it arrives.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Very cool sign!

At first glance, it looks like it might be '70s or '80s, but take a look at the Bell logo. That sign is OLD!!

Compare that with the late-'60s logo:
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 19, 2015, 11:06:47 AM
Very cool sign!

At first glance, it looks like it might be '70s or '80s, but take a look at the Bell logo. That sign is OLD!!

When AT&T replaced the Local & Long Distance wording on signs and logos with BELL SYSTEM Bell telephone of Canada kept the L&LD wording up until they went with the SERVICE wording.  So the Canadian L&LD signs aren't always as old as you may think.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

The sign arrived at the daughter's house last week. The man delivered it there, since he lives a few miles north of her. Our daughter lives an hour and a half north west of us. So I haven't picked it up yet. She took a couple of pictures and send them to me. (side note: I didn't teach her how to take pictures, her mother must have.  :D ) She had our 9 year old granddaughter Alexis hold it be side her to get a idea of the size of the sign. I remember these signs as a kid growing up in Toronto. They were attached to the wooden telephone poles along the side of the road. I have been searching the net for information on the year of this style of sign and have found nothing. I'm thinking 1950's or older.

Doug / Autonut

NorthernElectric

From this web site:

If this is correct, yours sign dates somewhere between 1922-1946, just going by the the look of the logo.  There are 2 very similar ones and I think yours is probably the later of the 2 (1940-1946); just not absolutely certain.
Cliff

I believe you are correct. It looks like the 1940 one pictured. Thanks Cliff.

The next question is should I try to flatten it and take out some of the dents or leave it as is?

Doug / Autonut

Finely, my sign has a home.

NorthernElectric

Love that 65 `stang.  I had one of those when I was in my prime.  It was my favourite of all the cars I've ever owned :'(
Cliff

The 57 Olds in the picture above it was my car in the 80's and 90's sold it in 1997. My toy now is a 2009 45th Anniversary Mustang Convertible.