"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got me a 1950 model 500

Started by McHeath, December 22, 2011, 01:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Well sort of.

The base is clearly marked 12/50 and 500.   It's not arrived yet, bought it on e-bay, and here is one of the pics.

It appears that the refurb shop pretty much gutted it in 69'.  The handset looks like plastic, the cord is obviously late 60's as well, and the equalizer is gone and it has a 425B network.  Can't tell on the ringer or dial but I'm expecting they are replaced as well.

Oh well.

At least it's a genuine 1950 base with it's leather feet.

Anyone got an early bakelite handset they want to part with?

Argee

I was watching that auction.  Glad to see somebody here got it.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Ha!  I should have known all the eagle eyes here on the forum would have spotted it!  Well if it's any consolation D/P I'm betting that the only thing 1950 on this phone is the baseplate. 

Doug Rose

Heath...sure looks like the network is dated 8 or 9 50....nice find. Too bad I just sold a dated 6 50 handset and matching dated elements....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

Doug,

If you notice, up in the top left hand corner of that network it says 425B. The 1950 sets came with a 425A network and a 311A equalizer. So it's probably an 8 or 9 1958 or 59
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kenny C on December 22, 2011, 09:13:25 PM
Doug,

If you notice, up in the top left hand corner of that network it says 425B. The 1950 sets came with a 425A network and a 311A equalizer. So it's probably an 8 or 9 1958 or 59
Kenny.....I am impressed with your knowledge.....outstanding my man.....Doug
Kidphone

liteamorn

[/quote]Kenny.....I am impressed with your knowledge.....outstanding my man.....Doug
[/quote]

Sometimes I feel like I am in an entire room full of smart kids! I'm amazed with the knowledge on this board. I'd be lost with these phones if not for you guys.

I'm dying to hear what else may have a 1950 date.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: McHeath on December 22, 2011, 06:10:08 PM
Ha!  I should have known all the eagle eyes here on the forum would have spotted it!  Well if it's any consolation D/P I'm betting that the only thing 1950 on this phone is the baseplate. 

I had hoped that no one else saw the markings.
You may be right, but it's still one set that eludes me. One day.....
It does make me wonder,  why would they completely install new parts on an old baseplate,
the labor to remove the old and install the new, would easily override the cost of a new baseplate.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Looks like at one time, it had a tube inside. Perhaps it was refurbished by an independent.
Jorge

McHeath

I do hope the ringer and dial are 1950, but I'm not holding my breath. 

It's curious that they would expend so much energy on refurbishing an old baseplate in 1969, but it seems that it was still cheaper than making a new one.  Man how times have changed!  At my school site if the bulb goes out on a projector they simply throw the projector away and buy a new one.  They claim that the time for the IT guys to replace the bulb, coupled with buying the bulb, is more than simply buying a new one.  And if your laptop computer battery goes bad they will toss the whole computer rather than replacing the battery.  (this is on newer Macs which require pulling the back panel)

AE_Collector

Quote from: McHeath on December 23, 2011, 06:26:27 PM
Man how times have changed!  At my school site if the bulb goes out on a projector they simply throw the projector away and buy a new one.  And if your laptop computer battery goes bad they will toss the whole computer rather than replacing the battery.

Sad isn't it. I hate this "throw away world" mentality. No wonder we waste so many resources and employ so few people. Most things could be made so that they last a lot longer and are repairable for only a little bit more $$ initially. Then there are the Chinese tools that use all the raw materials of a new quality item but break the first or second time they are used and then we all pay to send them (and their packaging) to the landfill!

(I'll be carefull while climbing down off my soapbox.....)

Terry  

McHeath

When I've mentioned to people at work about how wasteful and expensive these policies are they literally don't get it. 

Ah well.

One other thing about this phone I bought, I don't know what date the housing has.  Betting it's newer as well. 

Dennis Markham

Heath, maybe you'll get lucky and have an original 7A dial there.  The dial bezel looks like it could be an original.  It has a more dull finish to it than the housing.  Too bad we can't see the plungers.  Clear ones would tell the story if the housing is ABS or Tenite.  It kind of looks like a G1.  Keep us posted on the handset.  I have a few of the G1's kicking around and may be able to help you out replacing that one if it's a G3.

McHeath

Well it arrived today, no damage from shipping.

At least.

Pretty disappointing overall.  It looks like the phone was refurbed twice, once in 1955 and the second time in 1969.  Here are the dates:

Base plate, 12/50
Ringer, 6/55
Dial, 6/55
Network, 9/69
Handset, 66 G3 plastic
Receiver, 6/62
Transmitter, 8/66
Handset cord, 69
Shell, 69 ABS plastic

It's also totally filthy! 

Rolled the dice and lost on this one.  Now I'm in the market for a soft plastic black shell and bakelite G1 handset, that at least will give it a bit more early time feel.

Here are some pics: