News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gecophone part two

Started by rbouch, June 14, 2016, 07:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

Thanks to Matilo Telephones, Jack Ryan and rdelius for the help with this phone, my first "offshore" phone.

We found the model number KS10208 b issue inside the phone.
Spent a part of today cleaning the phone (still some paint flecks left to go), freeing up the dial and adjusting the bells so they wouldn't sound when I was dialing.

Switching has a piece broken off inside the cradle but I can live with that.
Below are some pictures of the phone before cleaning, dial,  fingerstop, handset etc, and the phone in its current state.

I'm fascinated, any information about the dial or any other parts of this phone would be very much appreciated.

For instance, is this a bpo dial or an imitation.  Fingerwheel is polished stainless steel...

rbouch

More pictures

rdelius

#12 type  dial.A pain to adjust

LarryInMichigan

That's a very nice phone.  I have been on the lookout for one of those for cheap.  I already have the GPO "pyramid" phones without the built-in (or should that be "inbuilt") ringer.

Larry

rbouch

Thanks Larry

If I run into another at a reasonable price I will let you know... :)

Matilo Telephones

Thanks, rbouch!

Your Gecophone looks, good. That transmitter cap should not be a problem. Cords are available on line too.

I have bought one too, earlier this year. It was in a lot of 28 telephones.

It has the wrong handset and dial. But one of these days I will put that right.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

rbouch

Actually, from the article you sent me the link to, your phone looks to be a late fifties version with the correct handset...

Matilo Telephones

The handset looks similar but the one in the picture is a similar handset as a 700-series telephone from the UK.

The handset on my Gecophone is a BTMC telephone, like the BTMC 2824 A in the picture below.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

rbouch

Wow,
Now I see the difference,  but it sure is subtle.

AE_Collector

So for those in the know, correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

I presume that the odd name Gecophone comes about as they are made by GEC in England? And that these were never accepted or used by the GPO, they were made for private systems and/or sold to "other" telephone companies likely in other countries. I recall seeing these in white or Ivory for sale somewhere, likely on eBay with the claim that they had been on the Queen Mary or some other similar ship.

I have some Muraphone Wall Phones made by GEC for similar non GPO purposes.

Terry

rbouch

Terry
Here isthe link on Gecophones Matilo Telephones provided me with,

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/geco.htm

This is about all I have found on the Internet about these phones....

SUnset2

A Gecophone like this?

rbouch

Well now, there's a piece of history....
Where did you find that?

SUnset2

I stumbled on it at a local antiques mall about 15 years ago.  I doubt that I paid more than $35 or $40 for it.  From what I've read on web sites is that they removed a bunch of them from staterooms when they converted the Queen Mary into a hotel, and they pop up from time to time.