News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Back Board for 554's

Started by Vern P, January 22, 2012, 04:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

WE used wood back board to mount 354 and 554's, when extra surrport was needed.

The model number is 172,  "A" is for the 354, made in Black and Ivory.  "B" is for the 554.  All of these were painted.

Looking for the 172 B in the colors of Ivory, Yellow, Dk. Beige, Dk. Gray and Dk. Blue.

The 172 "C" are the plastic ones.  Looking for a Lt. Blue 172C.

What do you have ??  I have lots of stuff to trade or dirty cash.

Vern P

Vern P

Am I the only fool looking for these ???? Yes that is heavy on the fool part. :<)

Vern P

bingster

I'm sure you're not the only one, Vern.  I only have one myself, a moss green one that was resprayed black at some point.

Originals are always preferred, but in the meantime a handy woodworker should be able to make exact duplicates, which could be used until you find the originals you need.
= DARRIN =

Vern P

No need to have new ones made. I know were I can get old ones, but they are Black.   The colored one have been hard to find. I have asked many time about these, in ATCA and TCI, but have not found any for sale. Yet that is.

I have had paint matched for the colors, but have not done any thing more about it. But sure as shooting, as soon as I paint one, a real one will show up.

OK, maybe I should paint them, that way some will turn up.

Vern P

Jester

Quote from: Vern P on January 22, 2012, 04:43:37 PM
WE used wood back board to mount 354 and 554's, when extra surrport was needed.

The model number is 172,  "A" is for the 354, made in Black and Ivory.  "B" is for the 554.  All of these were painted.

Vern,

Do you have a board marked "172 A"?  I have never seen one, so I'm curious as to what differences it might have compared to the "B". 
I have seen pictures of the "B" board in Ivory and Red.  I see Bingster mentioned he has one that was originally green.  I won a black one on ebay awhile ago, and then won a red 554 that was mounted on a Gray 172 B.  I thought about you when I won it, but wound up with a Gray 554 a month later and decided to keep it.  The phone is a refurb. and the dark plastic has been repainted light gray.  It's a gamble, but I'm going to attempt removing the polane & polishing the parts to their original luster.  I know of someone who has a 95 B dial blank I can use to replace the light gray dial, I just can't seem to contact him for some reason.

Stephen

Vern P

Yes I have 172A, in Black and Ivory.

The diff. between them is on the corners.  The "A" is rounded and the "B" is more square.   I have a Black 172A that I will be puting up for sale or trade later.

Tell me more about your Gray 172B ?? I guess it is wood, but is it the Lt. Gray or a Dk. Gray ??  I didn't think they made them in wood for the Lt. colors.  I have the "C" in Lt. colors.

Vern P 

Jester

Here is the "more" you asked for; a picture!  Thanks for describing the 172 A.  It is dark gray.
Stephen

HarrySmith

just downloaded a WE catalog from the list and came across some info on backboards. I have attached the pages that are pertinent.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Vern P

Thanks for the photo. It is good to know that the Dk. Gray was made.

Now the fun part of the job. I WANT IT !  I have 2 very nice 172A in Black and some colored 172C, I will put on the trade table.  Also I have some of the soft 554's, Yellow come to mind right now.

By the way, my Dk. Gray 554 is a Kellogg. It will fill the hole until I get a WE. I think the Kellogg is more rare than a WE, but not so many want them.

Vern P.

Jester

Vern,

That is a generous offer.  A light beige or mahogany 554 would be very tempting.  Naturally, I would offer trade plus $$$ to you, since I don't believe the backboards are valued as high as the phones.  It is "rare", though.  What do you have?
Stephen

Vern P

Just an up date on these. Thanks to Harry for sending me a copy of the BSP on the back boards.   

Got info from another BSP that stated that. The Auqa or Lt.Blue was the only color NOT made in a 172C, but they were made in the 182C and 191B.  So I am stuck with my Aqua 182C.

Have not seen anything more about the 172B in the colors I am looking for.  Still need to find a trade for the Dk. Gray one. :<)

Do other have these ??

Vern P