Main Menu

CRPF Award for "Worst Picture of an eBay auction item"

Started by AE_Collector, December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

It's obvious to me the auction is for 4 phones.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

I think it is the same phone taken from four slightly different angles.  I see pill bottles in the background and wonder if the seller was over medicated!

AE_Collector

Hey, at least he did the dishes first! Looking at the ebBay link I thought he had posted the same picture four times but quickly clicking through them reveals minuscule changes to the angle and amount of light. It is always nice to have multiple different views so that all details can be examined closely!  :(

Terry

TelePlay

To me, it's the same photo but the top two are cropped a bit different than the bottom two.

If you don't look for differences on the edges, which there are due to cropping, the items in the center of the photo, those common to all 4, are placed exactly the same in all 4. The water drops in the sink, the line on the drapes intersected by the open dish soap bottle, the way the white cap on the smaller bottle fits into the black circle on the larger shaker bottle behind it, the way the lower left face plate meets the upper left of the sink corner, the way the modular plug is the same under the crossing cord and then the marks and reflections on the face plate. The seller may have electronically lightened the bottom two image slightly showing a bit more upper left reflection but the reflection itself is the same, just larger being lighter. Being cropped slight differently, it may be that the seller did take just one photo and then tried to adjust the image and then crop it, for some reason. Of course, just my opinion.

Pourme

It would have been simpler to just take 4 unique and revealing photos....

I vote for the over medicated explanation... ;D
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Maybe it would be a good idea to take the lit cigarette out of your hand before taking a photo for a $214 phone?!? ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I imagined the smell that comes out of the Priority Mail box for whoever buys that phone...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

That was done so they don't have to bother typing "Comes from a SMOKING household" in their description (hopefully).

Terry

AL_as_needed

Or in place of packing pea-nuts, its nestled in cigarette butts.
TWinbrook7

19and41

I quit smoking years ago.  The smell nearly turns my stomach now.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

It has to be seen in context to appreciate while not the worst picture ever posted on eBay, for a seller to post just one image of a phone  like this makes one wonder how serious the seller is about selling the phone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ITT-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Phone-Telephone-/282591668193 ( dead link 02-16-21 )

19and41

Now that is the kind of "collectible" phone one finds here.  Usually the collectors get them first and toss it in with the other trash in their truck.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Not really bad pictures but more a combination of bad code stamping on the phone base (extremely typical with AE phones) and a seller who knows little about phones.

I was surprised to learn from this listing that AE was what...5 years ahead of WECo in producing early touch call phones and it isn't even a 10 button. Also, the AE Styleine was apparently introduced 10 years earlier than I thought!

In reality the date stamp is JUNE 78 not JUNE 18 and the 59 at the end isn't the year but the assembly line.

Terry