News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This 500 dial is so hard to turn!

Started by Karen, September 10, 2012, 07:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Ive seen them sluggish and slow.... thats not what this is.  Its actually hard to turn.  Hurts my fingers.  Feels like there's an elephant on the other side that im trying to pully up. 

Any idea how to loosen it up a bit?

HarrySmith

It looks pretty clean from the back. Have you removed the fingerwheel? If not I would suggest doing that and see how it turns without it. I have had some bent fingerwheels jam up a dial before.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karen

Yeah i took it off.  Looks clean in there too.  Very weird. 

Feels like something is adjusted too tightly. But I dont know much about dials.

LarryInMichigan

If you loosen the two screws on the back a bit, you will be able to move the two plates relative to each other, and you should be able to find a position which allows the gears to mesh better.

Larry

Bill

If you force it, you will break sometching. Instead, send it to Steve Hilz in Arizona, along with $7 (yes, $7!)

Bill

HarrySmith

Actually Steve charges $6.00, plus return postage! He does a great job, I send all my dials to him.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karen

I was just going to sell it.  Kind of kills the profit when you pay the 30 bucks for shipping both ways.  Obviously a fantastic cheap deal if I was going to keep it.

It doesnt feel stuck at all. It just feels like its moving something very heavy.

Dennis Markham

Is that a Kellogg dial?  Doesn't look like a Western Electric.

AE_Collector

Worst case shipping should be $5 each way for a USPS flat rate box. If it is no more than 13 ounces packed it can go first class for about half of that amount.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I believe that Dennis is correct.  It looks like a Kellogg.

Larry

Bill

Quote from: KarenKind of kills the profit when you pay the 30 bucks for shipping both ways.
Karen -

Don't send the entire phone! Just disconnect the dial, drop it in a small box, and send it off.

Harry - you're right, he charges $6, not $7. I've had Steve do several dials for me, each one very quick and well done.

Bill

HarrySmith

Last time I sent 5 dials in a small flate rate box which ships for $5.15. One dial in a padded envelope would probably be under 13 ounces and could go first class mail for probably 2 bucks.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karen

Decided to send it to Steve Hilz in AZ.  That and another that was being a pain. 

Highly recommend him!