News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help needed identifying this telephone.

Started by jonboysez, September 29, 2012, 07:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonboysez

Hi Dialmaster, yes if you have a photo of how it should be that would be a great help. Many Thanks

dsk

Here is a picture of a nearly equal dial.
Just unscrew the center screw. and turn the cam wheel. turn the gear under so it fits, its a little hole in the gear indicating the position.

dsk

dsk

As we see your dial, the fork who is partly broken should be connected to the right side terminal.

dsk

jonboysez

Yes I think the wiring was fine - its the left side metal contacts that are out of place - I will reposition them and undo the centre screw to make sure that the little peg is in the hole when I get home tonight.

dsk

Quote from: teka-bb on October 01, 2012, 06:32:08 PM

The metal spring on the left should be on the other side of the metal piece it's currently resting on. It should be against the screw that holds the 'forked' black piece. When the dial is in its starting position the pin on the black cog wheel should be resting against the metal spring on the right so it engages the contacts.

Let me know if the above is clear. If not I'll take a picture of one of my dials.

The contacts looks fine, the spring should be positioned as mentioned over. Just look at the other dial pictures.

dsk

jonboysez

Yeah think I understand that - the spring on the left needs repositioning and also the black peg on the plastic cog should be pushing against the spring on the right side in its starting position - on my photo its over on the left side at the moment - I'll make the adjustments tonight when I get home from work.

dsk

Now, I have inspected mine, quite different dial:
dsk

dsk

More pictures, The last picture is with a dial with same mechanism as yours.
This dial fits the Oslo telephone from 1934....to the start of the 1967 model.

dsk

jonboysez

The good news is that the dial is now ok and I've got a strong dial tone - I phoned my mum and got through to her ok but she couldn't hear a thing at her end. Also when dialling getting loud clicks in the earpiece (tho I could live that if thats all that was wrong). I have screwed off the earpiece cover and the microphone seems to be permanently attached to the cover - its one of those sorts with a pip in the middle and 2 spring contacts with one touching the pip and the other around the perimeter - I auppose first thing is to clean the ends of the touching parts and maybe bend the contacts up a bit?

dsk

To get a dialtone without the transmitter should be impossible. All the DC current goes trough the transmitter.  

1) Try if you get a dialtone without the transmitter in place. No dial tone = OK

It most likely the dial contacts on opposite side of the pulsing contacts making the trouble.
They are intended to short both the transmitter and the receiver when dialling, and only when dialling.

2) If you remove the 4 wires again, and connects only 2 wires to the contacts making pulse. No  1 from right (the new screw) to  l2 and the next to T. After dialling the first digit, you should be able to speak into the transmitter, and hear yourselves. You will get loud clicks in the receiver.
(They should go to R and RT)
If it works with only the 2 wires, we have to figure out the 2 others.

dsk

jonboysez

Ah well I do have a dial tone with the transmitter missing. I will get some better photos of the inside as it is now.

dsk

Then again my guess goes to dial problems, try number 2 in my last posting.

dsk

jonboysez

Some more photos of it so far - I'm using a non-standard line cord (they were cheaper than the correct wires) , but I have made sure the right wires are connected. So I should remove the 4 dial wires from the dial then attach far right to terminal L2 and second from right to T terminal?

jonboysez

Oops forgot the photos - they're here

jonboysez

Tried what you put in no2 but not sure I understood it right as there was no sound at all and how could I dial a number when dial was completely detached from rest of phone? One thing I did notice was that 2 of the wires from the handset were touching each other and both looked to be blackened (burnt?)  were they touched - just wondering if they were shorting each other out - I have pulled them apart but can't retest tonight as its a bit too late to be phoning anyone so will try again tomorrow night. Many thanks for your help DSK you are a star!