News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

the gray-corded duo

Started by finlover, November 26, 2009, 05:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

A few of you have asked to see some phones from my personal collection so I'm starting with these two--a red 500 from '55 and a Mediterranean Blue 501 from '56. 

I was lucky to find the red one a few weeks ago on eBay for $100.  The blue one does have a gray line cord, but I removed it recently to more easily display it at an exhibit of mid-century architecture in Austin that featured five of my phones.  It was so much fun and I felt honored to be asked to participate. 

Next week I'll try to post some shots of my aqua '58 and pink '59 500s--both are soft plastic and were new in their original boxes.  Enjoy!

Tonyrotary

Those are some fine looking phones.  :) And while blue is my favorite color, that red one is very nice. Congratulations on being asked to participate in the exhibit. Yes, please post the photos of the other ones. You got them new in original boxes? You da man!

Phonesrfun

Fin:

You do awesome work!!!  Those are so clean, you could eat off them, heaven forbid!  Wow.  I have to keep scrolling down through your pictures.

-Bill
-Bill G

finlover

Thank you, gents! ;D  If I could keep only two phones (let's hope it never comes to that), they would be these.

JorgeAmely

Finlover:

Does the blue phone have a 426A tube inside?

Jorge

finlover

Why yes it does, SeƱor Amely!

JorgeAmely

Most tubes inside 501 phones are not functional because long time ago they were disconnected. However, there is a method to connect them so they work in today's modern phone lines.

Jorge

mienaichizu

those are cool phones! I envy you ;D

McHeath

Incredible phones!  The shine almost blinds! 

Dennis Markham

Very nice phones, Greg. 

I'm curious on how you posted the photos.  Do you put in some source code to post them?  Great photography as always.

gpo706

I have a red but naturally not as pristine as this, but that blue is a real head turner, such a vibrant colour, maybe I'll spray my black one (joking)!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 27, 2009, 11:56:24 AM
Very nice phones, Greg. 

I'm curious on how you posted the photos.  Do you put in some source code to post them?  Great photography as always.
Thanks for the compliment, Dennis!!  I uploaded the photos to my Photobucket account, then copied and pasted the links.  If there hadn't been so many pictures, I would have just attached them to my post in the usual way.

finlover

Quote from: gpo706 on November 27, 2009, 05:41:52 PM
I have a red but naturally not as pristine as this, but that blue is a real head turner, such a vibrant colour, maybe I'll spray my black one (joking)!
Thanks, gpo!  I used Krylon Ocean Blue...just kidding!

ntophones

Those phones look brand spanking new! They are very, very nice. Wow! I don't know which one is my favorite.
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!
--nto

finlover

Quote from: ntophones on November 27, 2009, 09:20:31 PM
Those phones look brand spanking new! They are very, very nice. Wow! I don't know which one is my favorite.
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

Thank you, Sir!  I try to make them as new looking as possible.  I'd hate to pick a favorite too.  The blue one is definitely more valuable, as the color was in production for just three years ('54-'56), but that shade of red is pretty striking.