News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Was This Worth It?

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 16, 2009, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bid on this item, just for fun, thinking that someone else would certainly want it enough to outbid me, but I guess that I was wrong.  Is this phone worth $29 (incl shipping)?

ebay item #110445460147

Larry

Dan/Panther

Looks like a very untampered with original.
You got one heck of a deal. Nice straight handset cord also.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

It looks like a very nice phone.  As Dan said, original too.  The photos even show the date stamped on the strain-relief of the handset.  Too bad the mounting cord isn't there too.  I notice the ringer is the earlier C2A ringer.  It is currently wired with the black ringer wire on the G terminal.  You should have no trouble getting it to ring.  A very nice phone that is 56 years old.  The shipping seemed a bit high, but if they put it in a larger Priority box and send it by weight it's about right.  Hopefully they package it carefully.

finlover

Looks like a great score!  Should clean up really nice.  Is the case original?  It looks a little thin from the underside and I can't see a painted date on the front edge on my crappy monitor.

LarryInMichigan

I appreciate everyone's comments.  I will try to let you know more details about the phone after it arrives, including some pictures.  I also bought a few other phones this week (HELP, I'm addicted!), and I need to sort out those as well.  I received the 1962 Dutch Standard PTT phone today ($10 + $10.35 sh), and I just started cleaning it up.  I am hoping that someone will be able to explain the purpose of the button on the front which is supposed to temporarily connect something to ground.  I also bought two black SC 1543s ($4.20 each).  I am anxious to see how those look and work.

Larry

McHeath

Good buy, I saw that one myself the other day and thought it would make a good find for someone.  I like that it still has the straight handset cord, and of course it will work.

bwanna

it is not an addiction...it is not an addiction....it is not an addiction.....
donna

Phonesrfun

Shall we organize a 12-step phone collectors anonomous group? 

On second thought, Nawww.  Fugetaboutit.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 16, 2009, 04:16:06 PM
I also bought a few other phones this week (HELP, I'm addicted!), and I need to sort out those as well.  I received the 1962 Dutch Standard PTT phone today ($10 + $10.35 sh), and I just started cleaning it up.  I am hoping that someone will be able to explain the purpose of the button on the front which is supposed to temporarily connect something to ground.

Larry

Like this one?  Whatever you do, DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON!!!

Is there a number card that goes with these?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 16, 2009, 03:10:50 PM
I bid on this item, just for fun, thinking that someone else would certainly want it enough to outbid me, but I guess that I was wrong.  Is this phone worth $29 (incl shipping)?

ebay item #110445460147
Larry

Yes, I would say that was a good buy, considering the condition.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 17, 2009, 01:58:52 AM
Shall we organize a 12-step phone collectors anonomous group? 

On second thought, Nawww.  Fugetaboutit.

who among us wants to be "cured" ;)
donna

LarryInMichigan

Brinybay,

Yes, just like that one, but in better shape.  I cleaned the handset and shell and started polishing it.  There is a plain old yellowed number card which has the impression of hand-written numbers "481" on it.  I DID push the button, but apparently it doesn't work as well as yours  ;D

I hope to post some pictures of it in a day or two after I finish the cleanup, and I would love to get an explanation of the purpose of the button.  From what I have seen, all of the various PTT phones have a button in one spot or another.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 17, 2009, 09:02:07 PM
Brinybay,

Yes, just like that one, but in better shape.  I cleaned the handset and shell and started polishing it.  There is a plain old yellowed number card which has the impression of hand-written numbers "481" on it.  I DID push the button, but apparently it doesn't work as well as yours  ;D

I hope to post some pictures of it in a day or two after I finish the cleanup, and I would love to get an explanation of the purpose of the button.  From what I have seen, all of the various PTT phones have a button in one spot or another.

Larry

I especially [/u]would like to see the number card.  When you post your pictures, tell us what you [/u]did and what you used to polish it.  I plan to eventually polish mine up.  Like most of my other phones, it's an OMS project (Oh Maybe Someday).

Here's the thread when I first got mine.  The button apparently makes it off-hook, why, I don't know. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=929.0

More pictures:  http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/Brinybay/Telephones/Dutch%20PTT/
( dead link - 10-10-21 )
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

The 2/53 500C/D finally arrived today.  It is in great condition.  Here is a description:

All parts are black, except for the finger stop.

Base is stamped 2/53
Soft plastic shell is stamped "2 4 53  1" and in very good condition, except for a small dent near the front left corner and a few short narrow gouges in the front.
Network: 2/53, Ringer: 1/53, Dial (7A): 2/53
Bakelite G3 handset, receiver and transmitter caps are all in great condition, all stamped 2-53
Transmitter element is stamped "2-53 3", receiver element is stamped "2-4-53"

The dial turns smoothly, and I am able to dial calls.  The finger wheel is the same type as on a 302.  The center contains what appears to be the original insert printed "Please wait for dial tone".  The ringer works.   

The handset cord appears to original straight rubber cord.  There is some static when I wiggle the handset cord.  The line cord is missing.

The suede feet are a bit worn on the bottoms.

The phone is mostly clean with some rusty scratches on the bottom and some dust inside. 

After I clean an polish it, I might consider selling it if it is worth enough.

Pictures from the original ebay posting are at: http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/LarryinMichigan/WE500/.
( dead link - 10-10-21 )

Larry

McHeath

Sounds like a good phone.  That static when you wiggle the cord could be from the wires breaking down in the handset cord, or maybe a loose connection at one end.