News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Princess phone wont ring

Started by carl, July 05, 2009, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

My "inquisitive mind" was always getting me into trouble!

-Bill
-Bill G

Jester

I can definitely relate to that, Bill.  Although I never tore the family phone completely down all at once.  I took the safer route of removing one assembly at a time, studying and reconnecting.  It's much easier to remember where 4 wires go than 20.
Stephen

HobieSport

I never thought of looking inside our family 554 phone as a child, as it was phone company property, but Dad used to give me non-working wind-up alarm clocks and I'd tear them down in fascination, but never reassembled them. Later I rebuilt our antique coo coo clock and an old piano. That was fun, but didn't involve wires or electronics. I probably would have loved fixing old phones as a kid. Well...better late than never. :)
-Matt

bingster

I think I've mentioned once before that I disassembled my first phone, a '57 black 500, and that I didn't get it properly back together until about a year ago.  If I had Bill's presence of mind, I'd have had it fixed long before then.  Ah well, at least it works fine, now. :)
= DARRIN =

NYFED

BINGSTER: Just got a black princess phone...model 702BM. Cleaned it up, bought a tranformer and wiring adapter, plugged it in, called (using my cell) and VOILA! It rang. There is a dial tone.....however....when you dial out, after the second number is dialed, I get the "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message.  Any ideas? I changed the wire leading into the phone from the adapter. Same thing. Light works. I just don't have a clue. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Phonesrfun

Question for NYFED:

Did it dial out successfully before you got the transformer?

If this is the first time trying it, then another question is who is your dial tone provider?  Is it an actual telephone company, or do you have internet phone service through your internet provider?  Some internet phone providers' routers do not do well at interpreting pulse (rotary) dialing.

If that is the case, it is probably not a wiring problem and needs to be solved in other, more elaborate ways.

Bill
-Bill G

bingster

Another thing to try is determining how long it takes the dial to come to a stop after you dial a zero.  It should take about one second.  If it takes significantly more OR less time to make a full return, that will cause this problem, too.
= DARRIN =

NYFED

PHONESRFUN and BINGSTER: I use VoIP. However, before we look at that route: I have a TP-6A (Toaster phone), a 354, an AE40 and a 302 all hooked up in my house; they all work fine and my cable company supports pulse dialing. 
The phone had a dial tone before the transformer but I never attempted to dial out with it.  I'm going to move the phone to another jack and see if that does anything and remove the transformer from the equation. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks!