News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Super rare Silver Imperial

Started by MMikeJBenN27, November 18, 2020, 11:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

There is a rare Western Electric SILVER Imperial on E-Bay.  The gold ones are pretty common, but the nickel ones are pretty rare, even rarer than the Silver Continentals.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on November 18, 2020, 11:40:02 PM
There is a rare Western Electric SILVER Imperial on E-Bay.  The gold ones are pretty common, but the nickel ones are pretty rare, even rarer than the Silver Continentals.

Whereabouts?

Jack

tubaman

FABphones

Listing screenshots:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

That one was "rode hard" in it's lifetime. Probably in better shape than mine, I had to have one and you are right, they are rare. You don't often see them on EBAY.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tubaman

Quote from: Pourme on November 19, 2020, 04:46:11 PM
~

That one was "rode hard" in it's lifetime. Probably in better shape than mine, I had to have one and you are right, they are rare. You don't often see them on EBAY.

Made me chuckle - it's not an expression I'd use to describe a phone.
;D

Jim Stettler

The finish on  typical silver Imperials seem to  flake like the gold sets. The cradle is the tell.
This seems to be more like a chrome plate version.
If factory, I  wonder if it was a special order or retirement set vs a typical Imperial. It doesn't make me think of aftermarket plating.
Just an observation,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

~

I'll double check, Jim, but I've always thought them to share the heading "Imperial", just Gold's less popular brother, Silver....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

My first Imperial was silver, I bought it from a local phone guy, He was the on-site phone guy for a local military base, he had some cool things.

The finish (cradle ears)on it  peeled  and  flaked like  they will sometimes do on an Imperial finish.

This finish seems to be better and more like chrome, However, It could be because of the base metal of the plated set.
WE used aluminum, steel and various pot metal combinations  for D1's. The base metal probably makes a difference.
Just my opinion,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MMikeJBenN27

It does indeed.  It is easy to plate steel and pot metal, but not so with aluminum.  The plating easily peels off.

Mike

tubaman

It's sold - did anyone here get it?
:)