News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Black 500

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 03, 2009, 10:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Someone who knows nothing about phones has a soft plastic black 500 with a G1 handset (ebay item 310179129258) listed now for $14.99.  It looks like it is in decent condition from the picture.  Perhaps someone here is interested.

Dan

Not bad, but the cord looks like it was replaced possibly in the 70's and the feet look round, maybe in the 1964 era? I would hold out and get an early 50's one.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

I am not very knowledgeable about these things, but I thought that the metal finger wheel and G1 handset would place it in the 50's.

Larry

bingster

They do.  But you have to take in all the different clues.  So that phone does indeed have 1950s era parts, such as the fingerwheel and handset, but the other clues, such as the small feet and handset cord tell us that the phone has undergone at least one, and maybe more, refurbs.  It's also possible that the phone has been altered by an owner with parts from various phones.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Larry, and others that haven't seen it, I wrote a series of five articles on how to spot a true soft plastic phone while browsing eBay.  Since it is posted in blog form, the series is posted with part #5 first.  Just work your way backward.  These articles are short and may be helpful to you.

You can see it starting with part #5 here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/index.php?s=is+it+really+from+1957