"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Polane victim

Started by JorgeAmely, April 17, 2010, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
What a great job you did on the phone. I have a Brown painted Princess, I'm going to strip, it's red under the Polane paint. Straight lacquer thinner would touch the paint.
Did they paint some Princess phones chocolate brown???
Is it a home job or ?. It Looks great.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 06, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Jorge;
What a great job you did on the phone. I have a Brown painted Princess, I'm going to strip, it's red under the Polane paint. Straight lacquer thinner would touch the paint.
Did they paint some Princess phones chocolate brown???
Is it a home job or ?. It Looks great.
D/P
If it is a nice paint job I would keep it brown.
Red phones are easy to find.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Hi D/P:

I really don't know if it is a good idea to strip off the paint using a solvent. I used a solvent (lacquer paint thinner and acetone with Q tips) to remove the paint in the cradle corners and lift. But like I mentioned before, it melts the top plastic layer of plastic and to restore that, you have to sand to remove the unevenness left behind.

This is the third painted phone I restore, but it is the first Tenite painted phone I have refinished. And this is what I have noticed so far (bear in mind that these are my observations with only three data points): the early painted phones are Polane painted, which is an epoxy based paint and like you said once, it is like armor plate. The other two painted phones were from the middle sixties and the paint felt more like acrylic or latex and Easy Off oven cleaner was able to remove it. So I would try that before anything harsher. If the Easy Off doesn't work, you can always use the rest of the can to clean your oven or BBQ.

I don't know if phones were ever painted Chocolate Brown. Is it a home made job? I don't know.

Post pictures of your progress, before and after.  
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I think you are right, I wonder if I have time to go out and take it out of the pan of brake fluid ???? :o :o
D/P

Dan/Panther

I have the dial apart cleaning up the numbers and replacing the white background.
Here is a photo of the phone.
D/P

JorgeAmely

Another idea that McHeath has done is to paint the plastics with a new color and bake it in the oven. Krylon makes a paint just for plastic items.

Jorge