News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A different kind of Candlestick - a Cracraft-Leich with Watchcase Receiver Cup Hookswitch

Started by TelePlay, August 06, 2016, 09:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

No luck anywhere. If Robbie didn't say he had seen one, I would think it's a home brew. I am very happy with it displayed with a watch case. ...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I thought I'd try this again, I got this in 2016 and no one had a firm idea if it was real or not.  Robby said he had seen them before, but this is such an oddity. Any information is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

A quick search turned up the naming history of the phone/company, which everyone probably already knew, that I found interesting.

"Leich began as Eureka in the late 1800's in St. Louis & Chicago, then became Graycraft Liech (sp) [after it's founders] around 1902 and later Liech (sp) [Graycraft departed]. It's home for many years was Genoa, Illinois. In the 1950's they were absorbed by Automatic Electric Company who continued with the same product until stock was depleted"

This was found in a Google search so authenticity/verification is unknown. The history was given by the seller of a 1930s rotary Leich Model 62.

Limited hits on Google and nothing related to this particular candlestick.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Craycraft is J.R. Craycraft
Leich is O.M. Leich

Source:Telephony vol. 62 no. 7 page 218
https://books.google.com/books?id=WzBGAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA218

They attended a convention regarding Telephone accounting systems.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Russ Kirk

Doug, I am curious how the watchcase receiver holder is attached to the switchook. Can you post a top down photo?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Hey Russ...he is the pic .....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Thanks for posting Doug.  That is certainly a unique and interesting phone.  It is a keeper in any collection that will have many comments.   
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Kidphone