News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Surprised Surveyor!

Started by DavePEI, February 12, 2013, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Every so often, we get roped into doing Stats Canada Surveys. By law, we can't refuse them. Anyway today the woman was going through her questions, and one question was how many telephones do you own?

I answered honestly. 400-500. She got mad as Hell and reminded me we had to give honest answers or face penalty under law. I told her about the Museum, and showed her the web page, since the door was still blocked and I wasn't about to have Linda dig it out for her.

Eat crow, lady! The best laugh I have had in a long time! She got her eyes opened!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

LarryInMichigan

You have just skewed the statistics for the whole province.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 12, 2013, 02:51:00 PM
You have just skewed the statistics for the whole province.

Larry
Guess so! Man, she looked angry when I told her! She really afterwards still didn't believe me! It'll be funny next year when the stats show PEI as having the most phones per capita in Canada!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

Dave,  how far is the PEI Museum from the cruise ship terminal?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 12, 2013, 03:02:41 PM
Hi Russ:

Its about half an hour away. I have been known to pick people up at the terminal and take them out to see it... No charge.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on February 12, 2013, 03:04:44 PM
I have been known to pick people up at the terminal and take them out to see it... No charge.

Buy an ex-school bus, paint it Bell system blue, and use it as a museum tour bus.... :D

AE_Collector

One of these day's I am going to figure out the answer to that question! Have looked at the "Eastern Canada / New England" cruises a couple of times now but keep going somewhere warmer!

Dave: The survey person wasn't ON THE PHONE but at your door?! Did she arrive in a "sno-cat"?

Terry

Russ Kirk

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 12, 2013, 08:56:22 PM

One of these day's I am going to figure out the answer to that question! Have looked at the "Eastern Canada / New England" cruises a couple of times now but keep going somewhere warmer!

Dave: The survey person wasn't ON THE PHONE but at your door?! Did she arrive in a "sno-cat"?

Terry

My wife and I have been considering a New England cruise.  A side trip to the PEI museum is certainly on my mind.   I would love to meet Dave and see the collection.  But our pans are not finalized and we may do it this year or next.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Dave,  how far is the PEI Museum from the cruise ship terminal?

Terry
Hi Terry:

You'd love the Island in the summer!

She came by car - we told her if she had come yesterday, she would have had to climb the drifts!

I wish you had been here when I answered her question to see the expression on her face. She was mad! The nearest way I can describe it would be her sternest "You shouldn't fool with Mother Nature" look. She admonished us that our answers had to be accurate. Now, how accurate the answer was I am not sure of - I have lost count of how many are in the museum and of course that includes duplicates and parts phones, but it'd be pretty darn close! Many of those aren't on display, but are in storage there. I do need to do an accurate inventory - I started one several years ago, but have lost count.

She just stared at the web page at the museum photos, and I am not sure even then if she believed me. Hopefully the snow will hold off for a while, and we can get the door dug out, but I can't very well tell Linda she has to dig it out, and can't do it myself. Sure won't do it to satisfy Stats Can's snoops!

Funny thing is, I never thought what it could do to the Island's Statistics next year, but the thought is pretty funny! I can see it now. PEI phones per capita, 12.6!

Thankfully, the Vissers got down yesterday afternoon, with their big machine, and the drift down the driveway moved. Despite the fact their machine is one of the largest tractor driven blowers I have seen, it really had to work to do it! Anyway, we got out finally, and we got our amusement today!

By the way, a lady we know in Montague left two of her car windows open during the storm, and when she got to it, it was completely full of snow! At least the snow was just around ours and it was dry inside!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 12, 2013, 09:01:21 PM
Dave,  how far is the PEI Museum from the cruise ship terminal?

Terry

My wife and I have been considering a New England cruise.  A side trip to the PEI museum is certainly on my mind.   I would love to meet Dave and see the collection.  But our pans are not finalized and we may do it this year or next.
Just let me know when it happens, and I will pick you up at the cruise terminal and bring you out and return you. Same to you, of course, too, Terry! It wouldn't be the first time I have done that!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

yes we were looking somewhat seriously for last fall but Hawaii won out in the end. it is only a matter of time before it works out for us.

If I could just get a cruise from Vancouver to there I could bring more stuff with me than if I have to fly east first!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on February 12, 2013, 09:05:49 PMBy the way, a lady we know in Montague left two of her car windows open during the storm, and when she got to it, it was completely full of snow! At least the snow was just around ours and it was dry inside!

Dave

Now, I know people like drifting cars, but I've never heard of people filing their car with a drift... :D

Sargeguy

My family is originally from Pictou, NS.  I have always wanted to visit the Maritime Provinces.  It's a shame you cannot actually get there from the United States.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Unless you're shipwrecked, of course!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409