and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Working AE 34

Started by Doug Rose, June 06, 2020, 12:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 08, 2020, 12:44:32 PM
Doug:

Your ringer is slightly different from the one installed on my phone. Yours has a mounting block, perhaps used to secure leads inside the housing. You never know what they were thinking. I know based on the part number printed on the base of mine that is was supposed to be used inside an office building (behind a PBX) and not to be connected directly to the local town central office. But it works fine if I connected to my landline. One interesting fact is that the network is all contained inside the handset.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WQzFuM8QzfaPaSGf1

I seem to recall something about a rather unusual AE handset with a network or part of one in the handset. I know it is on here but I could not find it with a quick search. If I do locate the thread I will add it here.
I found one reference to an induction coil in the handset by Stub:
Kidphone ,
                 Great handset!!!!!!!! It's for the 32A14 deskset. This handset has an induction coil receiver and a single coil ringer in base .  If you get the chance sometime  could you send a pic of the ringer? These phones were for isolated private exchanges. Your phone is 34A3, and beautiful one I might add!!!!!!!!!!
               The handset is a complete phone by itself, minus the dial and hookswitch ofcourse!       stub
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 08, 2020, 12:00:28 PM
Your ringer must have been changed at some point. While the wiring diagram states frequency ringer the ringer itself is clearly marked SL for straight line. It should function fine.

Where does it state that Harry? I must have missed something.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 08, 2020, 12:44:32 PM
Doug:

Your ringer is slightly different from the one installed on my phone. Yours has a mounting block, perhaps used to secure leads inside the housing. You never know what they were thinking. I know based on the part number printed on the base of mine that is was supposed to be used inside an office building (behind a PBX) and not to be connected directly to the local town central office. But it works fine if I connected to my landline. One interesting fact is that the network is all contained inside the handset.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WQzFuM8QzfaPaSGf1

The phone shown here uses a DC induction coil type receiver and is quite well preserved.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 08, 2020, 05:06:09 PM
I seem to recall something about a rather unusual AE handset with a network or part of one in the handset. I know it is on here but I could not find it with a quick search. If I do locate the thread I will add it here.

Different but not really unusual. It has a DC induction coil receiver as was provided with the AE 11, AE 12, AE 13, AE 14, AE 15, AE 16, AE 32A14, AE 34, AE35 and perhaps others.

The handset is a complete phone by itself, minus the dial and hookswitch ofcourse!       stub

Not really but AE did make a complete telephone in a handset - the 1926 "Hand Telephone".

Regards
Jack

paul-f

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 08, 2020, 08:21:05 PM
AE did make a complete telephone in a handset - the 1926 "Hand Telephone."

Photos...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jack Ryan

Quote from: paul-f on June 08, 2020, 08:51:48 PM
Photos...

Thanks Paul. I have only seen black ones - did yours used to be black?

In case some don't realise it, the hanger is the hook switch.

Jack

paul-f

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 08, 2020, 10:39:49 PM
...did yours used to be black?

I don't see any signs of residual paint or abrasive stripping. I have no idea whether it may have been chemically stripped, though. (If done, it would have been long ago, based on the metal's patina.)

I did notice the hook switch.

Do you happen to have any catalog or technical info on it?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line