"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My AE, Cosmeticly Restored, Wirening to go

Started by jfrutschy, June 14, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hi Evertone,

Just a few pix of my current project, almost completed.  The first pic is the original, The case was Powdercoated, during there process they lost my switchhook...duh.   They have powdercoated several more pieces free of cost but does not replace the lost item so desperately needed.  Any way, found another with the essential pieces needed.  Transmitter, polished to brass, a functioning AE dial and receiver.

sent inside view to tech board, wireing looks like....POO POO!!!  But it will work...eventually

Hope you like what I have done with this phone any comments or suggestions welcome

Dont laugh....Dam Dial Cards, they seem to give me more trouble than anything...lol

stub

jfrutschy ,
            Great job!!  Now I need to find a 21 with louvers, all mine are round holes in the bottom.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

jfrutschy,
               The louvers can be seen in the 1929 catalog (Bulletin No. 1015) and the holes came later. The first cover with holes ,that I can tell, came in 1934  ( AE Catalog 4055) on the AE Type 32A14 Handset Wall phone. As far as reading written info I haven't, just from looking at pics in catalogs.
                I just don't have one with louvers!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jfrutschy

Thanx.  Got one with louvers being powder coated.  Was gonna do something different.  But after you explained the time frame, change of heart.

I also have a near perfect one with holes that came with a type 43 switch hook, I thought it would have the same insides as mine....lol.  But for $16, I got a great case a receiver and some minor carp.....all for another.

My last louvered arrived yesterday,  outside looks good, gonna have it examined by powder coating company and see if it can be done, had not planned a fourth 21, repetition helps me learn.

Keep you in mind if I decide to change plans

jfrutschy

Hi everyone,

I spent close to 30 hours trying to properly wire the aforementioned phone.   After countless tries I could only get it to function one function at at time.

I went nuts....

Decided that this phone was going to work.  And the one for the job was Mr Hilz,  the first night he diagnosed one problem and found the next one.  But low an behold within a matter of hours....

It's fully functional! I thought, After all that work - it just had to work!

Both my second and third are awaiting parts that I just secured the last of today.

Can't wait to show it...

John