"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone number cards

Started by BDM, February 21, 2009, 06:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Netdewt on March 04, 2010, 04:17:58 PM
I could print them on a nice thick rag paper. They'd look really nice on that. There is a limit to how thick paper can be that goes through the printer.

The perforations would not actually be there, but they would be printed on the paper with everything else.

An easy way to perforate cardstock is with a sewing machine.

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Netdewt

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 04, 2010, 08:20:49 PM
Netdewt, those are very nice cards.  Is the background brown?  On my original cards the background is black.  I don't recall seeing them in brown.

This one looks brown to me, but I can make them however you want. I have no black originals and I've never seen one, I just grabbed them off the Telephone Archive, which are brown. It could be from fading or from a wonky scanner setting.The square is a little off center, is that normal? I could center it... I like the "handmade" look though.

Paper. I think I would use a premium matte photo paper, which is actually pretty much like regular cardstock and matches the thickness of the original (I did have one in my dial center, not a black one though). The "photo rag" type of paper I was thinking of using would be way thicker than the original cards and it costs more than 3x as much as the premium matte. Shipping. I think I could get away with regular USPS in a largish envelope and a thin piece of cardboard.

There wouldn't be any copyright issues doing this would there? ericofon.com sells them...

As far as perforations go, I would leave that up to you.

So far, I know I would sell by the half sheet, which looks like it could fit 15 centers. Is the interest in my printing process or in the "custom" part? Should I decide pricing for custom cards vs. just printed stock cards (like Bell logos)? What is a reasonable amount for you guys? This would take some time on my part for each custom card. ericofon.com sells non-custom cards for $2 a piece up to 20 cards, then $0.05 each thereafter. Hmmm...

jeremylivin

There's someone (dunno who) that sells custom cards on ebay.  For $6 he sends you 6 custom cards.  To me they don't look as good as yours.  His are laminated whereas yours appear more original.

If you get started taking orders I'd love to get some from you!

Jeremy Livingston

Netdewt

I got an email back from the Telephone Archive guy. He says that everything is copyrighted and the collectors that sent him the scans did not want this type of thing done with them. So, I cannot sell these without consent.

I'd have to borrow or start collecting cards to make my own scans in order to do this.

Similar issue I found in the Googlebox:
http://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2858

Netdewt

More info about the Bell system and copyrights:

http://www.porticus.org/bell/trademarks.html

QuoteAll logos (Bell, Western Electric, AT&T, Yellow Pages, etc.) are registered trademarks or service marks of their respective corporate owners.

This non-commercial web site is not sponsored by, owned by, employed by, contracted by, or in any other way associated with AT&T, the Regional Bell Operating Companies, Bell Labs, Westrex (Western Electric), or any of their subsidiaries.  The use of the Bell logo for commercial purposes is prohibited (see bell.com for more information) and is only presented on this web site as a historical reference of the changes that took place during the lifetime of the Bell System.  Bell System logos are still in use by and trademark property of the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs) in the USA such as Malheur Bell (wholly-owned subsidiary of Qwest Corporation).

All original material, including the web page designs, is ©1997-2009 The Porticus Centre.  You may use any of the original material on this web site for your web site; school reports and projects, journalism publications, etc. so long as proper credit is given and the source URL.

So, yeah...

Jim Stettler

Dave is right, all of those are copywritten.

However, If someone was to run a printing service for those folks who don't want to use their own ink. All they are doing is selling the printing of web obtainable material. My understanding is that this is legal.

If the info is on the web avaliable for printing, then no rules are being broken by running a printing service ( you are charging time and Material). Refuse to print any scans that are not avalible on the web.
If anyone wants to scan their dial centers, I suspect Remco would host them (on the web).
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Netdewt

Upon more research, I don't think they really have those rights. Only the telephone company that made the cards can hold the rights, but I'm not going to push the issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp.

QuoteBridgeman Art Library v. Corel Corp., 36 F. Supp. 2d 191 (S.D.N.Y. 1999), was a decision by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, which ruled that exact photographic copies of public domain images could not be protected by copyright in the United States because the copies lack originality. Even if accurate reproductions require a great deal of skill, experience and effort, the key element for copyrightability under U.S. law is that copyrighted material must show sufficient originality.

Netdewt

Okay, here's the scoop.

Dave said that I can use the scans on the Telephone Archive as long as I'm doing it to help out collectors and not for profit. You guys can just pay me in phones then right?  ;)

I don't know that it makes sense for me to print cards and mail them to you guys. Dave suggested getting cards printed at a photo place (Shutterfly, Target, Wally-mart) on glossy paper, then you don't have to worry about the acetate whether you have it or not.

So, what I am offering is a custom card made from the Telephone Archive stock. PM me if you're interested.

deedubya3800

I really like the cards with the white lettering on black saying "Wait for dial tone", but I'm wondering if the script version or the plain version is more historically accurate for the phones I have, or if both were used and it doesn't really matter. The phones I have are a 1954 302 and a 1960 5302. I've seen plenty of pictures online of both using either, and I'm also wondering if I should get one of one and one of the other. Stop babbling. Thank you.

bingster

Either type is correct.  Plenty of both are seen.  Also correct is the plain black "Type I" card at the number card archive.  

By 1960, the card would probably have been a white type II or type III.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

When I got it, the 1960 did indeed have a plain white that had been stamped with the number, but it was hidden behind an undersized white circle card with another number on it. On eBay, the 5300 series phones I see usually have a plain white card if any at all, except for ones that have been fully restored, which usually get the Type II with script. The 302s I see have all sorts, but several in as-found condition have the script type.

I guess I'm just going to have to print out rough copies of each (my printer's not too great) and see what looks good to me. :)

KeithB

The Porticus archive site has some large format high-resolution GIF files you might find useful in creating your own AT&T / Bell system dial-centers:

<1939 logo>

<1964 logo>

<1969 logo>

Here's a JPEG file containing what appear to be original dial cards:

<WE Dial Centers>

Tribune

Whenever I see an image of an interesting or "useful" dial card on the Internet, or make a nice discovery of my own with a real card, I tend to scan them in and digitize them using a graphics package such as Corel Draw. The result is a collection of hi-res jpeg facsimiles of dial cards.

I'm adding to these on a frequent basis, but attached the latest version here if anyone wishes to download and use them. They print best on quality matte photo paper. All are copies of genuine dial cards, except for the Crouse Hinds and the "Dial 9 for External Line" ones. Not too sure about the Northern Electric ones either as I've only ever seen these on OPW phones. All should be sized correctly.

So, feel free to print and use these. If you want, just contact me here and I can add custom exchange number/name details and can then e-mail you the file.

Mark
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Tribune

Dial card set 2
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Babybearjs

I remember sending a copy of this link to mike at oldphoneworks.com.. does anyone know if he ever used any of the blanks to try and sell through his website? I'd like to see a larger variety avalable through his site or others... John
John