News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale

Started by wds, September 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Thanks Doug.  I just doubled or tripled the size of my collection. 

Yes, I will contact you about the handle.  The two tone does seem a little odd.

I had a scheduled vacation next week, so the first chance I have to pick up the collection is the following week.  I tried to get in to the house tomorrow or Friday, but couldn't work out a time with the Seller so all I can do for now is dream about what might be hidden back on those shelves.
Dave

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on September 26, 2017, 11:33:19 PM
Yes, looks like a 1st generation 8-day (square tank, not round) but the globe cage is straight wire. It's a dead flame lantern. Really haven't paid much attention to deaf flame lanterns. Dates to the early to mid 30's. Don't know if that straight globe cage wire is early or later in that production run.

Not to derail the thread and lead it down the lantern rabbit-hole.... Extra cookie points if you noticed the painted lamp oil container...

Ok, I'll stop  with the lanterns now  ;)
TWinbrook7

mazda_matt

Quote from: wds on September 27, 2017, 09:00:39 PM
Thanks Doug.  I just doubled or tripled the size of my collection. 

Yes, I will contact you about the handle.  The two tone does seem a little odd.

I had a scheduled vacation next week, so the first chance I have to pick up the collection is the following week.  I tried to get in to the house tomorrow or Friday, but couldn't work out a time with the Seller so all I can do for now is dream about what might be hidden back on those shelves.

Sounds good, we'll talk soon.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

wds

I made my first trip with the uhaul and picked up some phones.  Didn't get as many as I wanted, but still filled about 30 boxes.  I figure I will need at least 200 more boxes, plus all the furniture and phones that are too big for the boxes.  Here's a few more pictures.  Found out the Seller was a ATCA member from way back.  The more I dig into this collection the more I'm beginning to realize what an incredible collection this is.

Notice the little operators station - with the postcard on the top with a similar operator station.
Dave

wds

more pics.

The AE payphone is beautiful.  Not sure if the paint is original, but the phone looks brand new.
Dave

wds

few more.  Still don't know what this first phone is.  Some of those signs are NOS and still have the unused sticky tape on the back.
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds on September 29, 2017, 02:44:42 PM

Notice the little operators station - with the postcard on the top with a similar operator station.
That is Peg Chronister at the switchboard. She was the former curator @ the museum of Independent Telephony in Abilene, KS.. That photo is from inside the museum.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

Back from vacation.  Hard to enjoy myself knowing all these phones were at home waiting on me.
Dave

wds

Still need to polish these the red and ivory phones.
Dave

drkp

Wow - I have been reading here for a while but had to join and post when I saw this! I know this basement well.

This was my grandfather's collection. He assembled it between his retirement in 1980 and death in 1999.

I'm sure he would have enjoyed talking to everyone here. We wouldn't have found him on the forum, though -- not just that it wasn't around, but he had never had any interest in using a computer. He was an ATCA and TCI member and involved with the Pioneers, so it's possible that anyone who was around at the time in the area might have met him.

He spent his entire career with Ohio Bell, aside from a few years in the Navy during the war. Starting as a linesman in Akron, he moved around to different positions in countless towns throughout Ohio, before finally winding up in Columbus, where he finished his career as General Plant Manager.

In 1980, he took early retirement -- after a mere 40 years with the phone company -- to spend more time with his family. He took up a number of hobbies, most of which involved collecting things -- ranging from antique tools to log cabins -- but his favorite was clearly the telephone collection. He and his wife of 50+ years spend many enjoyable years driving around the backroads of Ohio and the neighboring states visiting flea markets and auctions and acquiring phones, memorabilia, and pretty much anything that had the Bell System logo on it. In the last few years, he bought a few things on a newfangled thing called eBay, although he did that by having friends print out auctions that he would sort through on paper. (I found a binder of eBay printouts in the house at one point.)

Sadly, we lost him about 18 years ago. Some of his other collections were auctioned off after his death, but his wife couldn't bear the thought of letting the phones go. That gave another generation of great-grandchildren the opportunity to sit at the operator's station even though they were far too young to have any idea why a phone would even have buttons let alone a rotary dial.

I hope that the collection has found a good home! If I could have, I would have taken all of it myself -- but I don't have anywhere near enough storage space, nor the ability to move it (I'm on the west coast). I do have a handful of phones from the collection myself, some of which I've restored to working order.
Dan

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, how cool that we have one of the grandchildren of this man's collection here to see where the collection is going! :)

Trust me, this went to a good home. Some phones will stay with Dave (who will take very good care of them) or will end up with other very trustworthy collectors who will appreciate them as much as they possibly can be!

Stick around--you'll probably see many restored or cleaned up, and I'm sure anyone on the forum that ends up with a phone from this collection will post it here.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

That is amazing now that despite being moved, the collection still has a familial connection. Always a plus when any bit of the personal history can be attached to items and their story continued. Cant wait to see more!
TWinbrook7

wds

the move is complete.    Some pictures of the boxes in my garage.  I was sure that the boxes would take up the entire garage, but we managed to get it on one side.  The metal shelves will end up in the basement - somewhere!
Dave

wds

few more pictures.  The wood phones are spread around the Living and Dining room.   Nice sign also.  And a not so good picture of a Western Electric fan that is feeling real good right now!
Dave

AL_as_needed

Instant collection...shelves and all. Still amazed.
TWinbrook7