News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

RobertL

Yep I agree with everything I read on this string.  Just want to add this, maybe instead of cracker barrel phone we should call it them a Lum and Abner phone and see what is maid out of that.  "By grannies Lum I believe your right."  Rob.

HobieSport

This is the first time that I've seen a 500 described as "Rare Deco..."  :P ;)

http://tinyurl.com/mpxl45
-Matt

JorgeAmely

Bingster:

You forgot the "All of the above" option.

Jorge

bingster

I can't take credit for the poll, but I certainly agree that they're all overused.  Especially that darned "L@@K" thing.  Geez, I hate that one.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Quote from: Stephen Furley
Here you are Ellen:

http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=2988

Is it Dada or Surrealist? From what I've read, Dada peaked in 1916-22, Surrealism developed later, and Dalis' "Lobster Phones" were made in 1936.

Whatever the case, it certainly can't be called "Deco". ;)
-Matt

bwanna

the era of art deco was still going strong in 1936. but does that mean everything from that time frame (1920's & 30's) is art deco?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_deco
donna

HobieSport

I read the Wiki on art deco when this thread first started several months ago, and just generally speaking, it doesn't seem to have a really clear cut and dried definition. So I'm really hesitant to make any semi-educated generalized statements about it.

That being said, it seems to me that it's hayday was in the 20s and 30s.

I would be very interested to hear from folks on the forum about any certain phones that we do consider to really be art deco, that we could then discuss. Perhaps by keeping the subject of art deco in relation to phones it could focus our ponderings?

Just a thought.
-Matt

bingster

There's already a thread on what we consider art deco phones around here somewhere.  Can't find it at the moment, but it's here somewhere.

Incidentally, I've just lost two hours because of your link, bwanna!  It started with the photo of the Conoco gas station in Shamrock, Texas that's shown on the wikipedia page, and that led to Rout 66, which led to the Lincoln Highway, and... well, you know how that goes.  ;D
= DARRIN =

NYFED

Bingster, et al:
                      I have amassed my collection of 58 working and not as of yet worked on phones, via ebay. I have bought everything from a Kellogg 700 to MANY, MANY AE40s. The thing I hate the most when trolling ebay is when someone describes something with absolutes: 'very rare!', 'this one is quite a find', 'most unusual' and then they try to play off their starting price by saying "I really don't know much about this phone".  Were that the case they wouldn't be asking a good (valid) price for that ivory 354 or that NOS Kellogg 900! LOL! The other thing I find really amusing is when someone describes a 302 as 'very rare'. Yet, there it is amongst the hundreds if not thousands of 302s! LOL!  To me, very rare means you got a prototype for a 'fireproof phone (made, of course, completely out of asbestos-to survive the nuclear blast) from your grandfather who worked on the factory floor. THAT would be rare. Or you went diving and recovered a service phone from the Titanic. THAT would be rare. Or, maybe you came back from the future and brought back a magneto based phone that is/was/will be used after WWIII. Again, THAT would be rare. LOL! 

HobieSport

NYFED,

Here's an Ebay description that covers several of our pet peeves that you may appreciate: ;)

BTW, your phone collection sounds somewhat similar to mine; about 50+ phones with lot's of AE 40s. I have a decent variety of other phones, including many WE 500s from the 1950s (all black) and several 302s, but the AE 40s are one of the first phones that I really "fell" for.
-Matt

NYFED

HOBIE- I read your posting, checked the Ebay listing and laughed my receiver right off the cradle! (ok...corny, I know)  I have 2 40 gallon storage totes filled (literally) with neatly stacked phones.  They are individually separated with towels that will be recycled to use for polishing/cleaning/etc.  I have spent the past 2 days working on putting my Kellogg 900 back together after polishing it. This is by far my favorite phone so it will end up on my side of the bed.  Any pointers or tips: feel free to send 'em my way. I'm still an FNG (friendly new guy) at this so I'm still groping around in the dark.

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 06, 2009, 02:36:36 PM
NYFED,

Here's an Ebay description that covers several of our pet peeves that you may appreciate: ;)

Wow!  No, seriously, they forgot the word "Wow!"
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

NYFED,

You have a Kellogg 900, eh?  Lucky dog you! IMHO that is a true art deco phone if I ever saw one. Have you posted pics of it on the forum somewhere yet? I'd love to see it.

I'm a rank newbie to all this, so am not a source of phone wisdom or experience. I keep my phones stacked mostly in the USPS boxes that they were shipped in. I have yet to do any major refurbishing, as I'm busy with various Summer projects, and probably will save the major phone projects for rainy Winter days.
-Matt

NYFED

Hobie.....here you go. Forgive the mess.... my ADD doesn't allow me to clean up between work days. LOL!