"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 26, 2013, 10:25:34 AM
@John, the 1st three open in the same window (on the page) but enlarge and are not cut off.  The last 2 open in a separate pane.

Dennis, that answers that one question. I just opened that link on my laptop (has a wider screen). The first 3 enlarged in the topic window but less was cut off (just lost far right side of the base instead of half the base as seen on my notebook) and the last 2 opened up normally in a new window. So, it is a function of screen size, along with whatever parameters are being adjusted in the software.

Phonesrfun

@ Dave Zemens:

Has any of all this telephone collecting stuff caught on yet?  It is contagious, you know!
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 26, 2013, 10:25:34 AM
@John, the 1st three open in the same window (on the page) but enlarge and are not cut off.  The last 2 open in a separate pane.

Dennis,

Just opened up that link on my desktop with a wide screen display. The 1st 3 enlarged in the topic window and the full picture was seen, nothing was cut off. The last 2 opened up in another window. Screen size is a factor.

Dave Zemens

@Bill:  I briefly collected some Western Electric phones about five years ago. I've still got five or six in the basement, fully restored, even one that was restored by none other than Dennis Markham.

I'm afraid they're not living as good a life down in the basement as many of the phones I see displayed much more prominently in their homes.  :(
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

david@london

dave -
i think the dennis phone should be put on at least the ground floor..........
....the more time you spend tweaking crpf, the more you'll know that you want at least one rotary for daily use.

every change yr implementing is making it better........the new blue topic headings on the home page are a big improvement on the grey.

Dave Zemens

Quote from: david@london on December 26, 2013, 03:55:09 PM
every change yr implementing is making it better........the new blue topic headings on the home page are a big improvement on the grey.

You noticed!
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

Doug Rose

Dave...outstanding effort!! We are extremely happy with all your hard work....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Great work Dave ;D The more you "tweak" the better it gets! Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Apparently the new software is not configured properly to accept PNG images. I had to convert an image to JPEG format.

TEST1:
Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

TEST2, different image:  OK

Reducing the image in test 1 to 1000 pixels width was successful.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on December 30, 2013, 12:45:42 AM
Apparently the new software is not configured properly to accept PNG images. I had to convert an image to JPEG format.

I'm not sure of what's been going on with this issue which was discovered by a few members just before Christmas. Several posts were made about it starting about here in the update topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10803.msg115671#msg115671

It seemed to have been an intermittent problem with several variables including which browser was being used. I do not know if it has been completely resolved or not as of this point in time.

AdamAnt316

The new update looks pretty good, so far. I do have one question: is there a way to change the order in which posts are displayed within a thread? The current setting seems to be latest post first, unlike the previous version of software used by the forum (and, indeed, just about every other forum I'm on) where the view is oldest post first. Sorry if this has been answered already, but I find it difficult to view threads this way, and wasn't able to find any options related to it in my user profile.
-Adam

david@london

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on December 30, 2013, 04:07:36 PM
I do have one question: is there a way to change the order in which posts are displayed within a thread?

adam -

login....... go to profile. 

modify profile > look and layout > scroll down + uncheck box marked 'show most recent posts at the top' ........scroll down + click 'change profile' box.

Dennis Markham

Adam,

Hover the cursor over "Profile" in the blue strip below the banner area.

From the drop-down box select "Forum Profile"

Hover the cursor over the red "Modify Profile"

From that drop-down box select "Look and Layout"

Uncheck the box that reads "show most recent posts at the top"

Got the lower right hand side of the page and select "Change Profile".

Dennis Markham

David, looks like we both posted at the same time.  That ought to do it.

AdamAnt316

Thanks, David and Dennis! That did the trick. Now I have to figure out how I managed to miss the "Look and Layout" menu..........  :-[
-Adam