News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The JKL Telephone Museum - California, Lost to Fire

Started by Ktownphoneco, September 11, 2015, 12:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

The Following is being forwarded from the TCI & ATCA list   ...........

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Remco Enthoven tekabb@gmail.com [singingwires] < singingwires-noreply@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Subject: [TCI] JKL Museum lost in fire
To: TCI <singingwires@yahoogroups.com>

The JKL Museum  / American Museum of Telephony and surrounding residences were lost to fire last night.

The community of Mountain Ranch CA where the museum was located may also be affected. We were told by firefighters that the museum burned to the ground. Currently no one can get into the area. The fire is called the Butte fire. As soon as we have more news we will post it on our website:
http://jklmuseum.com

Please forward this message to other lists.

Remco Enthoven
JKL Museum Curator

Weco355aman

This is a HUGE lost. I worked for about 6 weeks installing the SXS and other items there.
John had a world class collection. This is a sad day for the Phones and other items.
There was a large collection of books and other items that also was lost.
Phil

DavePEI

For want of a better place to post this, a message from Remco. I had posted it under another topic, then noticed Jeff had posted it here:

QuoteThe JKL Museum  / American Museum of Telephony and surrounding residences were lost to fire last night.

The community of Mountain Ranch CA where the museum was located may also be affected. We were told by firefighters that the museum burned to the ground. Currently no one can get into the area. The fire is called the Butte fire. As soon as we have more news we will post it on our website:
http://jklmuseum.com

Please forward this message to other lists.

Remco Enthoven
JKL Museum Curator

I am sure we all know the hard work that John LaRue, Wayne Merit and Remco have put in to this wonderful Museum. I have never has the pleasure of visiting it. I am sure they as well as all collectors are heartbroken.

Cowboy Frank Harrell visited the Museum last week, and has posted photos of the Museum to his page from his visit: http://CowboyFrank.net/galleries/Trips/2015-08/index.htm#jkl

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

This is a sad day.   I was to go visit the museum about 5 years ago, but due to a scheduling problem it didn't happen, and I have been wanting to go ever since.  Now, it looks like I will have to wait for it to be rebuilt.  Unfortunately, there were some very irreplaceable items! Take for instance the famous Picturephone that we all witnessed Maureen finding in her dad's attic, which eventually went to the museum.

John, Wayne, and Remco, I am so sorry to hear of this loss.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

What a loss. Many of the items at the museum were 1 of a kind. I  visited the museum  years ago and  I have  sold many  books, signs, and phones from my collection to the museum over the years. 
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

What a pity, from what I heard seeing the museum was both enjoyable and educational to see the incredibly rare items. I hope a new collection can be started or at least some things salvaged.

Ben

paul-f

In addition to the loss of the museum, Remco has lost his new home.  He spent many many months orchestrating his move to California and only had a few short weeks to enjoy his new surroundings.

We are fortunate that he spent much of the last year working on a photographic inventory of the museum collection.  Hopefully they had off-site back-up.

The network news mentioned tonight that over 6,000 homes are currently threatened by that fire.  It's a monster.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

This was shocking news to read.  What a huge loss.  It's fortunate of course that there was no loss of life.  I cannot imagine the loss that John, Wayne and Remco are feeling.  Their collection of telephones and related equipment was unbelievable.  I hope that eventually they are able to begin to rebuild.  But how does one replace a collection like that?

My heart-felt condolences to them and all people affected by that fire and all fires.

Doug Rose

This is horrible news. John had put his life into the JKL Museum. It is heartbreaking. I can only imagine his pain. This was a life's work. The Bell Trucks and the phones are irreplaceable. This is a sad day for telephone collecting. Mo's fathers video phone was a part of this wonderful collection. My sincerest condolences to John and the crew. I looked at all the great picture after I heard the news. So many wonderful items and just a wonderful display. I am so sorry .....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

This is so sad to hear. My wife and I feel very fortunate to have visited the museum a while back. Such a huge loss for all involved. I am so glad that no one was injured and is safe.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Adam

I had the privilege of visiting a few years ago, have been meaning to go back. A few of my things ended up there too. An irreplaceable collection gone. Truly a sad day. Now, 9/11 has a doubly sad meaning for anyone in the old phone biz.  Our thoughts and prayers are with John, Wayne and Remco.

P.S.: Everybody feel free to grab the icon I just switched to and temporarily switch to it as well in remembrance of the JKL Museum.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Here's the logo, for posterity.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

WEBellSystemChristian

How very, very sad! So many millions of dollars worth of telephone equipment plus years of enjoyment from collectors and those who spent most of their lives to build the museum--gone. I have never been to the museum before, but I feel deeply sorry for anyone involved in the project. My deepest condolences to John, Wayne, and Remco.

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

I think one of the hardest things facing John La Rue, Wayne Merit, and for Remco Enthoven will be to find the drive to do it all over again. The feeling of loss must be a thousand times more for them than what we feel, and I pray that there is a way to rebuild from the ashes.

John, Wayne, and Remco, I hope you know you have all of our support, and that we share your grief. I pray that when you are able to get back out there that you will find some items which can be salvaged, perhaps a little encouragement to go on.

This was a life-times work for John and Wayne, and Remco  was a wonderful addition to the endeavor.

Lets all do our best to encourage them, and to let them know we care. It may help them to get over the initial shock and heartbreak.

From me, and collectors everywhere...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001