"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Re: Christmas phone Problem

Started by xhausted110, December 26, 2012, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xhausted110

here is what I got.

the volume in the receiver is VERY low, any ideas why?
- Evan

Phonesrfun

There are many potential causes for low volume, which range from a bad recever element inside the handset to wiring issues or other bad components.  I would start by seeing if the receiver is good.  Do you have another element you can swap out with the one in that handset?

One thing that could aid in the diagnosis is to know relatively how low the volume is.  Is it low, but pretty perceptible, or is the volume so low that you haveto be in a perfectly quiet room just to hear the dial tone?

Your question and this answer need to be moved from this topic to troubleshooting, which I suspect one of our moderators will do.
-Bill G

xhausted110

i should also note that it was perfectly loud when first hooked up to our comcast line but when i hooked it up to my SxS switch it was so quiet you had to press your ear to the receiver and be in a quiet room to hear the loud SxS dial tone and the outside line one. and the voltage on the step switch is more than our comcast line, if that makes a difference.
- Evan

Phonesrfun

The 48 volts you are probably running from the SXS switch is the voltage that phone was designed for.  They work well at either 24 or 48 volts, so that can't be the issue.  The low volume you are describing sounds like a dead short either in the line cord or somewhere inside the phone.  I would check all connections, including the shunt springs on the dial and hookswitch, and check for any connections on terminal strips that have adjacent wires touching each other.

Also, check to see if you can hear yourself talk/blow into the transmitter.  If you can hear the DC talk sidetone, then the problem would not be in the phone, but the dial tone coupling to the first selector in the SXS switch.  If you plug the phone back into your Comcast service does it go back to working?  If so, that would further point to the SXS switch instead of the phone.

-Bill G