"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Good news from my eBay purchases

Started by TIPandRING, January 11, 2009, 02:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIPandRING

Took a peak at my eBay finds.  They all appear to be "numbers matching" ;D ;D

Pink Princess phone (base dated 2-65). Handset cord is the only thing dated '64. Everything else is dead-on 1965 (first quarter production)

Moss Green 500. Base dated 2-60. The only things that aren't a 100% match are the handset cord (dated '58) and line cord dated '59). But I have no reason to believe these were changed out, seems to be factory thru and thru.

White 500. Everything dated '74 (with exception to the xmitter capsule, which was '73 I believe) to match the 5-74 base stamp.

The only thing "altered by expert idiots" was the Princess' yellow ground wire inside. Someone cut the spade lug off and let it hang. Then they took a jumper wire and tied it from the black ringer wire to the L2 green terminal so the phone would ring on the 4010 network. I can fix this.

Despite dust and dirt, everything looks pretty much un-touched. Yeah :D

I know, pathetic,  but I had to share. ::)

Dan

Nice. It's always fun to find originals. I just got a beige WE500 I was hoping was original(marked 1958 on back) but it had the soft lucite housing replaced in 1968 and the cords too. Then I cracked the housing when I polished it. Oh well, at least I can superglue it and have learned a valuable lesson--thermoplastic is more brittle than lucite
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

At least it was beige and not one of the pretty colors.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Nice finds indeed.  A white 500 that is not faded and yellowed would certainly be a phone find worthy of a ballad.  Or at least a nice post and pic or three. 

HobieSport

A ballad?

"Oh hear of the charge 'bout the old white five hundred,
when in a grand battle with cell phones it blundered,
the mahem was horrid but the cheers were so glorious,
when out of the plastic crawled old phone victorious." ?

No, you're right, Heath.  A few pictures would do just fine. :)

McHeath

Quote"Oh hear of the charge 'bout the old white five hundred,
when in a grand battle with cell phones it blundered,
the mahem was horrid but the cheers were so glorious,
when out of the plastic crawled old phone victorious.

Phones that is.  Big plastic ones.  Rotary dials too. 
:D