News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have had various experiences, but I always started by politely informing the seller that the item arrived damaged because the handset was left in the cradle, the phone was crushed because there was insufficient padding, etc. and waited to see what the seller would offer.  In some cases, they immediately offered a complete of partial refund.  In other cases, I hinted that I might have to contact ebay for a resolution.  In the case of the smashed GPO phone, they wanted me to ship the phone back, apparently at their expense, but I replied that repacking and shipping the phone would be alot of trouble for me, and I asked for a refund of a bit less than the amount which they would be out anyway.  The person corresponding with me said that her employer does not do that, but she would ask the boss the next morning, and later that day I suddenly had a partial refund from paypal.  Ebay sellers do not usually want to risk building a bad reputation if they plan to continue selling.

I find it astounding that a member of ATCA and TCI would pack a phone that way.  Perhaps he had and assistant, like his son or daughter, pack it for him, and they did a sloppy job.  I bought a phone once on ebay from a nearby seller, and I emailed him repeatedly for almost a week asking when I could pick it up, receiving only one brief reply telling me to pay for it first.  Several days after I paid for it, I received a phone call from the seller who apologized that his son was supposed to have handled giving me the phone but was ignoring his messages.  He told me that he yelled at his son and told me that I could come and get the phone whenever I wished.

Larry

HarrySmith

Dave,
Can you post a link to the auction? I might want to avoid phones from that seller!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

http://tinyurl.com/3fzca9e

What gets me the most, is that he removed the screws holding the generator, so that it would bounce around during it's 1000 mile journey.  It makes me wonder if he removed the screw on purpose. 
Dave

HarrySmith

Thanks.

Here is the best part of the listing:

Even though I PACK ITEMS with the utmost CARE I can not be RESPONSIBLE for what happens after the ITEM LEAVES my BUSINESS.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 01, 2011, 05:56:14 PM
Thanks.

Here is the best part of the listing:

Even though I PACK ITEMS with the utmost CARE I can not be RESPONSIBLE for what happens after the ITEM LEAVES my BUSINESS.

Technically, yes, he can be and he is. It's in the eBay seller regulations. It's the seller's responsibility to make sure the item reaches the buyer as described, whether or not shipping insurance is purchased. eBay made that perfectly clear when they revised their selling options to no longer make shipping insurance an option for the buyer; it is now at the option of the seller, but they're responsible either way.

Doug Rose

The seller on eBay is REQUIRED to insure your package to your door. It IS the sellers responsibility. All my actions include insurance in the shipping quote, NO EXCEPTIONS!
This way I am covered after my package falls into the hands of the carrier.

There is no insurance against woeful packing. This seller sells phones on eBay every week. What was his reasoning for unscrewing the magneto?

This should go to eBay/Paypal for resolution....Doug
Kidphone

NorthernMan

I notice the sellers with the least experience have extremely bad packing habits. This seller has had 100 transactions. I instructed the seller twice on how to pack heavy items such as magnetos with a fragile ost reciever. They did not follow the advice and so the reciever hook was splayed thru the cardboard and the winder was bent out of shape. Somehow the receiver was undamaged. Item was $88 and shipping $30, the actual post office charge was $22, so they could have spent $8 dollars on a bigger box and large bubble bubble wrap. So beware of newer Ebayers.

wds

Looks like a nice ringer box - was it damaged also?
Dave

Sargeguy

Magneto box with OST receiver for $88?  More pics please!

The last two auctions I won with low <10 feedback have both resulted in me filing claims for undelivered items.  Luckily one was a SC wood phone that I bought by accident.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I'm kinda partial to Holtzer Cabot - post a picture!
Dave

wds

Dave

Sargeguy

I love those chrome H-C magnetos!  This should clean up nicely!  Is that a WE receiver?  What are the dimensions for the transmitter, I may have one for you.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

It certainly looks like a WE,  I know some of them were not marked, I have one that is not but was attached to a 293A.  Are there any marks at all on it, or patent dates on the inside?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gpo706

I advised the bloke who was packing the 2 Dictographs and he replied as follows -

"Hi Scot Thank you for your message and for buying the phones, i have done as you requested and wrapped the handpieces seperate. Regards John"

You see its better to ask/instruct as obviously the seller wouldn't have had a clue...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE40FAN

I recieved a deluxe chrome edition AE40 in the mail today and even though it was packed with care it still arrived with the entire front end smashed in!  It's unfortunate because this phone WAS in great shape, now its parts.  On another note, the dial makes a ratchet sound when it dials.  Didn't the AE34's do this as well?