News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DCC, and G-scale trains

Started by Bill, December 27, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Does anyone here run DCC-controlled model railroads, G-scale in particular? I'm trying to get smart in this area, and not having much luck. I don't think I've ever encountered a hobby area that is as poorly documented as DCC control - and that includes my 1968 Honda CB-350 motorcycle that came with a 10-page instruction manual that had been translated directly from Japanese by a non-English-speaking translator! As I read the available material on DCC, I come up with a seemingly unending series of questions, most due to the strange terminolgy, but some due to conspicuous disagreements among various sources. I'd like to be able to bounce my ignorance-driven questions off someone.

Thanks

Bill

ESalter

Hi Bill-

I build custom HO locomotives, most of which I install DCC on.  DCC is Digital Command Control for anyone reading this who isn't familiar.  Historically with model trains, you supply power to the rails, the wheels on the locomotive pick it up and the trains move.  You vary the voltage of that power to control speed and polarity to control direction.  With DCC the polarity is constant and voltage is full all the time.  Each locomotive has a small decoder installed in it.  Each decoder has a unique address which enables you to talk to the decoders separately.  This lets you run multiple trains in multiple directions going various speeds all on the same track at the same time, which couldn't easily be done before.  What I really like about DCC is the various lighting effects it allows you to have.

Anyway, I have a pretty fair knowledge of how DCC works in general.  I'm not 100% familiar with all the various manufacturer specific products out there, but go ahead and ask away and I'll do my best :)

---Eric