News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing House Paint off of a Clear Phone

Started by Doug Rose, March 17, 2012, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

The body seems to be in really nice shape except one side has thick paint from a really sloppy painter. I can only imagine what the rest of the room looked like! Any Idea how to get it off without damaging the clear phone? I want to put it on a Western base....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, I have no experience with clear phones.  But to remove house paint off other phones I've worked on I have let the housing soak in warm, sudsy water.  I start out with the water luke-warm and then increase the temperature after the housing adapts to the water temperature.  Meaning, don't put a room temperature housing in very hot water.  It just might crack.

After it's soaked long enough for the water to cool, usually the paint will come off with a sponge or a finger nail.  Now the finger nail on clear plastic MAY scratch, so do it carefully.  Then using Novus2 and hand rubbing the plastic,  polish quick enough to create heat from the friction of the rag against the plastic, it usually all comes off.

I suppose there are some solvents that may remove the paint.  Assuming it's ABS plastic, a solvent like Easy-off oven cleaner may work without damaging the plastic.  Someone else may have an idea for solvent use.

JorgeAmely

Doug:

It is time for the SPCRPSP people to take a look at this. It is time to draw a line on the sand.  :o :o :o
Jorge

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis...I'll give it a try

Jorge....Jameson or Bushmills?  Happy St Patricks Day to you as well....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Doug:

SPCRPSP = Society for the Prevention of Cruelty against Rotary Phones by Sloppy Painters.
Jorge

AE_Collector

DavePEI

Hi All:

One does have to be very careful when trying paint removal on a plastic/bakelite type product for the first time. Always give the removal solution a try on a less noticeable part of the phone first. I know that is difficult, particularly on a clear phone.

I usually will try water on a phone first, but will then if that fails go to my old standby, Easy-off.  Now, on bakelite or plastic, the only bad effect is a slight dulling of the finish, easily returned to better than normal with the use of a bit of plastic polish.

On Lucite, I would be wary, as I haven't done it myself - I have only one clear phone here. However, go at it carefully, do a small test area, and if that is successful expand your target area.

That should be a beautiful phone when you are done! Good Luck! I envy you :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Dennis....worked like a champ!!! Paint came off rubbing with a wet towel after a 15 minute bath. Looks great.

Jorge....SPCRPSP = Society for the Prevention of Cruelty against Rotary Phones by Sloppy Painters. I agree, but I still did the Jameson for me Irish Mother....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
You should have left the paint on. It Gave it character.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Dan....paint is on it's way back! I need as much character as I can get!!
Kidphone