News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Film cap Telephone Jack??

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 24, 2015, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

This is very strange and I have no clue why anybody would use a film canister for a junction box. Couldn't you use a standard mounting block or something? I have no clue what possesses anybody to do this.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/lbqelqf

Ben

Bartonpipes

I must confess I have done some similar rigging in the past when I didn't know any better, but I agree it's really strange, especially since they imply that it worked before they disconnected it.
-Andrew

TelePlay

Quote from: Bartonpipes on January 24, 2015, 03:24:25 PM
I must confess I have done some similar rigging in the past when I didn't know any better, . . .

We all did, I suspect, even when we knew better because sometimes expediency trumps perfection. I'm just surprised they didn't stick the silver satin in that roughly cut "v" to keep the red, yellow, black and green from being exposed to all sorts or peril, and breakage. And a small wire tie around the SS inside the can would insure it staying that way.

Kenton K

If they didn't cut the cord restraint, I think this is a perfectly acceptable solution for a person who doesn't have the proper materials. It would be easy to rig up some zip ties for some added cord restraint.

Ken 

WesternElectricBen

I still think it is bad he is selling it like this, but to be fair to the seller's store is called: honestly*random. :)

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

It's weird, but if have to say, it looks clean and professional to someone who doesn't know what would have been done originally.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

A cumbersome solution that I bet would make the seller do the Simpsons "D'OH" if someone showed him a jack installed on the end of the cord with a modern cord plugged into it!

The spades appear to be missing off of the phone cord and the insulated conductors don't look to be much thicker than on the modern SS cord so an RJ plug might have been able to be crimped directly onto the cord.

Terry

Bartonpipes

For a little while I had one phone with the old style 4 prong plug and had run out of places to plug it in, so I opened up the plug and cut one end off a modular cord and wired it into the plug. Sure it was ugly, I just tucked it behind the piano until I got another 4 prong jack.
-Andrew

andre_janew

I think we've all come up with stuff that is a bit unusual, yet works.  We intend to fix it right in a few days, but those few days may turn into something a bit longer.  Yes, I'm saying that he may have had something better in mind, but what he did worked so well he just forgot to fix it the way he really wanted.

TelePlay

Well, it sold for $11.99 plus $12.67 shipping by way of one and only one bid. So, who bought it? Seems like a deal.

andre_janew

I hope o***h like it, whoever he (or she) is.

AE_Collector

The phone is getting tossed in the garbage. It was bought for the antique container that apparently once held something called "Film?"

Terry

andre_janew